Save your reflectors

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I havent been in this long ,and already I have thrown away a bunch of those reflectors. The ones in the wheels and front and back ones. We ought to all save them, then ship them to some deserving member with some kind of old junk car. He could put the hundreds if not thousands of them all over his doner car and then enter it in one of thoes "ART CAR SHOWS". He would surely win,and if not they would see him really good at night. REFLECTO CAR. :D

lol good idea, that would be hilarious... seeing a car at night time glow up from all of the reflectors lol. Last year I went to a bike shop and looked in their dumpster, there was probably 50 bicycle reflectors... probably all junk but they looked in good condition. I thought about diving in there but if I were to get caught, they would probably ban me from going in the shop.

Good idea Uncle Stretch!!! You surely won't miss that on the road at night!

hahahaha that would be wild I bet the cops would hate it well except you hahaha
i actually save them and put them on bikes I sell locally to college kids I would rather them be safe than ever hear i sold a bike to somebody that got hit at night

Ok havent you people ever read the sticker on a bicycle,where it clearly states DO NOT RIDE BICYCLE AT NIGHT.So why give away good reflectors to people just to give them a false sense of security when they are going against the manufacturers warnings. The only thing the reflector is good for ,is so the cop can shine his flashlight into the darkness and see where whats left of a bicycle is, after a drunk has knocked you into the grass. :D :D :D :D :D

I was just pondering a handful of reflectors a few weeks ago and thinking "I could do something cool with these..." In the end, I did the uncool thing and tossed them in the recycle bin.

i have to admit that would look pretty far out
personly though i do leave all my reflectors on my bikes
i do quite a bit of after dark riding
i do have all my my reflectors(even in the pedals)
a front light and a blinky in the back
if i am to get hit by say a drunk or
a 16,17,18 year old kid with way too much car for their
driving skills i want to be able to say I was legal
that is if i am still able to speak and not in a coma or dead

my bikes are not complete till i have adorned them with
those pretty little jewels
just my 5 cents

ponytailmike
mike

It has been proven that drunks follow lights. So your bicycle ,that has a bunch of reflectors gives an appearance of lights jumping up and down. Add to that a few more hallogen flashing lights ,and to the even untrained observer it looks like a UFO comming down the street. To a drunk it looks like wild tail lights to follow. on the other hand you choose to pull off the reflectors , then you become a target for the regular drivers. Its a no win situation. It is dangerous to ride at night. So in conclusion if you pull the reflectors off, because it makes your bike look really good in the day time ....save them for our up comming art car project...or maybe it could be an art bike project. :D

uncle stretch
your point is well taken and respected
if you do find a donor car let me know
i do have an extra just lying around
ponytailmike
mike

Uncle Stretch, Your logic is flawed. Reflectivity is your friend.
MVC-490X.jpg

I am reasonably old,and have found out several things in life. If you drop something it will fall on your foot. If you dont go to bars at night the chance of you being shot or stabbed is lessened. if you ride around late at night most of what is out there are cops and drunks. Drunks will run over the strangest things and rarely get hurt. If one kills you in an accident they usually get very little time ,because they were drunk and they are so remorseful later. So when your on your bike having fun at night ,try to figure how many drunks get arrested each night and wonder what percentage didnt get caught and are on the same road your on. Oh and have a nice ride. :D :D :D

i think reflectors are cool for decorations, but when it comes to practicality i think reflective tape is the better route. ya can put it on fork tubes and seat stays and get way better visibility at night than traditional reflectors....and ya dont add anyweight or extra mounting brackets. reflective tape can go anywhere, front/back/side/bottom/top...and also on your jacket/shirt sleeves/back or helmet.

i have an old coffee can full of old reflectors and im thinking about adhering them to my garage doors so if ppl pull up at night maybe all the reflected light will hurt their eyes and encourage them to turn their headlights off instead of shining them into my house.

im also considering painting one of my projects in reflective paint, too cool!

Latest posts

Back