SAND BOARDING- Bruneau Dunes

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
This last weekend my wife and I joined friends at Bruneau Dunes State Park for the annual Trash Can Turkey campout. A few of us ventured out to the big dune to try sand boarding. These pictures were taken by my friend and are amazing.

ClancyAJ_zps8b437b9e.jpg

pulled_zps89579b53.jpg

looking_zps5b981d60.jpg

sandboard1_zpsa1cae68b.jpg

tadboard_zps4368ed57.jpg

karma_zpsd4c0a791.jpg

aj_zps1fde1736.jpg

And the Turkey

turkey_zpsc974a3b9.jpg

HD baby. :D

Hey, at least you're still able to wear shorts and t-shirts up there. :wink:

Trying to imagine getting all of that sand out of a pair of boots later. :shock:

Its a dang shame that you didn't take a bike. With scenery like that you could probably
win the photo contest. Way cool place.....other than I'm not that crazy about sand.
Kinda like a beach with no water or waves. :shock: :shock: :shock:

Rat Rod said:
Hey, at least you're still able to wear shorts and t-shirts up there. :wink:
Snow is just above town and forcasted for the valley this week. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

thatismytruck said:
Every time you post photos I wonder why I haven't been to Idaho yet. It could be the 2000 mile drive. I really want to go everytime I see them anyway.
Lots to do and see for the outdoorsey type.

Uncle Stretch said:
Its a dang shame that you didn't take a bike. With scenery like that you could probably
win the photo contest. Way cool place.....other than I'm not that crazy about sand.
Kinda like a beach with no water or waves. :shock: :shock: :shock:
I was there 2 weeks ago with the kids and wife, and I took some family pictures of riding. Plus a nice pic of the bike by the lake with the dune in the background.

that is really cool.

I can't help but wonder what keeps that big dune from filling in that body of water.

ifitsfreeitsforme said:
that is really cool.

I can't help but wonder what keeps that big dune from filling in that body of water.

Angle of repose. The other interesting thing is that these do not shift and it is the tallest single structured dune in the North America (470 feet). And it is an hour from my house. :wink:

ok now I'm trying to wrap my brain around a dune that doesn't shift.

no! shhh.

don't bother trying to explain it. I'll pull something in my head probably.

Speaking of sand in boots- Did you find a pair of size 9 hiking boots in the sand there? I lost a pair, while messing around with my brothers...in 1974. :lol:
One of the things I miss about living in that area. :(

Garrysr said:
Speaking of sand in boots- Did you find a pair of size 9 hiking boots in the sand there? I lost a pair, while messing around with my brothers...in 1974. :lol:
One of the things I miss about living in that area. :(

I found a flipflop last time. Did the sand feel so good on you feet that you left them on top?

So how were these photos taken to get their unique look? Was an effect put on them after with software?

ifitsfreeitsforme said:
So how were these photos taken to get their unique look? Was an effect put on them after with software?
The technique is calledHDR. He took 3 very fast photos together,each with a different exposure. Then they were processed after using some software.

oh cool. I think the guys here were talking about that process in the photography thread.

Back