Sand blasted rail

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm working on a Huffy Judge for the build off. I had a friend sand blast it for me and I'm going to have a friend of a friend powder coat it for me. The guy who's doing the painting is no expert he paints sheet metal at work. He says bringbit snd he'll shoot it....
here's the question. The frame seems rough after being sand blasted , do I need to sand thst whole thing smooth? As is it feels like worn concrete.....if I scratch my nail across the frame I feel texture. Will the powder hide this or should I do more?
cf92d51a9b87900475f9f358d6222c59.jpg
fde3f0b8954c5414759eb491cbdcc6ef.jpg
cb3d0893d3cf7abb540b6db0290dbd0a.jpg

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk

A couple things... Texture under the coat might be a cool look. I also get why you can't talk to the painter, but... Powder is powder, you could try calling a different powder coating company and ASK them what they want, and how what you have will look. Occasionally the phone book is so much simpler than the internet... good luck tho, those frames are awesome.

Carl.

You'll be fine the way it is. The powder coasters I've dealt with in the past prefer sandblasted metal to start with. All that "texture" is actually expanding the surface are of your bike by some stupid number like 400%! This helps the powder coat adhere. If you sand it smooth it will look good for a bit but it will eventually begin to peal, it'll also scratch easier.

13ccf47a3091a60d787cb4b924a3fd97.jpg

Ross Apollo frame I had sandblasted then straight off to clear powder. Smooth tile glass.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You'll be fine the way it is. The powder coasters I've dealt with in the past prefer sandblasted metal to start with. All that "texture" is actually expanding the surface are of your bike by some stupid number like 400%! This helps the powder coat adhere. If you sand it smooth it will look good for a bit but it will eventually begin to peal, it'll also scratch easier.

13ccf47a3091a60d787cb4b924a3fd97.jpg

Ross Apollo frame I had sandblasted then straight off to clear powder. Smooth tile glass.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Good info, but confused by the pic.
Is this before or after Powdercoat?
It looks scratched to me.

Good info, but confused by the pic.
Is this before or after Powdercoat?
It looks scratched to me.
That is after clear powdercoat has been put on I believe, the different colour is from the brazing process when the bike was originally welded.

Luke.

Back