San Juan Special * 6/9 - springer*

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I've been a member on RRB for almost 3 years now, and have watched with envy the last two RRB build-offs along with all of the other, smaller build-offs. I think I've finally got the time to get involved and do a build-off bike of my own.

I'm starting with an old Electra frame. My plan is just to build a cool, hot rod cruiser. Inspiration is vintage dragsters, dry lake bed racers, and who knows what else.

**EDIT** I guess I should explain the bike name. It's pretty simple. We live in the San Juan mountains of Colorado, hence the "San Juan Special".

XNHR

Re: San Juan Special

In the research I've done, it seems this was a special model made for Eric Malone. He's a pro personal watercraft freestyler(I'm sure there's a cooler name for it in the business).

My dad actually bought this bike I'm using about a year ago to use the internal 7-speed wheelset for his New Belgium Electra. He got a GREAT deal on the bike, and had no use for the frame. While cleaning his garage one day he decided it was part of the clutter and sent it home with me.

Here's a pic of what it would have looked like new.
XNIX

i remember when you were debating colorado towns- where did you finally end up?

(not that it's really any of my business..... )

Bendix said:

We moved to Ridgway. Then after we moved out here, my folks moved to town from Wisconsin, too.

blacksheep said:
Frame on mine is steel.

I'm looking forward to seeing your's done. 8)

Nice to see another Electra around. Some of these older ones are getting pretty scarce. I just bought another like mine today, and they are quite rare!

blacksheep said:
Bendix said:

We moved to Ridgway. Then after we moved out here, my folks moved to town from Wisconsin, too.

awesome country. 8)

redcliff1.jpg

(the other side of courthouse and chimney)

Bendix said:
blacksheep said:
Bendix said:

awesome country. 8)

redcliff1.jpg

(the other side of courthouse and chimney)

Great pic! I get to look at the front side of that every day. Love it!

Re: San Juan Special * 6/2 - frame change *

OK, so I didn't even get started on my Electra frame. Unfortunately, I am going to have to join the "frame change" club. I really wanted to use the Electra, but I am just not going to be able to buy the parts needed, and I don't have a stash or any cruiser friends to swap with.

So...the "San Juan Special" is going to be an unfinished project from last year. I had the bike all torn apart with some really cool plans for it. Then, due to a family emergency, we had to suddenly move 1400 miles away. I had the bike in primer, but it was FAR from done. I threw it back together as it was. I figured it was easier to pack it as a complete bike instead of a bunch of parts. Fast forward 10 months or so and we're back in the mountains.

The frame was thought to be a Jamis Earth Cruiser, but I don't think it is. Not sure what it is. First pic below is as purchased, second is after original disassembly.Third pic is as it sits now, awaiting disassembly and then the rebuild.

XWdR

XWdK

XWdE

Re: San Juan Special * 6/9 springer *

Well...not a very interesting update. Yes, it's a standard issue China-made chrome Schwinn-style springer. It was something I had laying around. It will not stay chrome and I will attempt to do something a little different with it later in the build. Since starting this build I have also started a new job that has left me with alot less free time. I will keep plugging along and hope to have this bike finished and at least semi-cool by the end of the build-off.

XhRQ

Back