SAMSCO - Hot Red Hot Rod Bike FINISHED 11/27

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
38   0   1
I got this bike at the Trexlertown meet last month and it has sat until I could free up the bike stand. Finally got it freed up and slapped this one up there to start work on it.

The story that goes along with it is kind of funny. It was the last vendor I visited on my first trip through the meet. As I was looking at the triple step wheels there was another fellow looking at the bike on the other side. The price tag read $50. As I was about to tell the guy i would take it the other fellow offers $40 and the seller promptly accepts it. I said man, I was about to give you $50. THe new buyer starts to walk away and I offer him $60. He says nah, i really want to bring home a new project. By now there are a few onlookers listening in to the conversation. I start a casual conversation about how I wanted the bike for the wheels. We continue to talk and I offer him $75. He thinks about it and starts to rationalize how he really doesn't "need" another project. He says $80 and it is yours. I couldn't get the $80 out fast enough! The bike changes hands twice inside of 10 minutes. I start to walk away with my new prize when this guy I know asks me if i want to sell the fenders which were the 6 sided aluminum pieces, but are in need of some serious help. Too far gone for me to even use. So, i tell him $20 for the fenders, but he has to remove them. He was happy to oblige. When this task was completed another gentleman asks if I would like to sell the handle bars. I looked at the bars and they were the Torrington's but the cross brace was missing and the neck was rusty and really pitted as it was aluminum. Again, too far gone for my purposes. He asks how much? I tell him $15. He whips out the money pretty quickly. By now I get the feeling i am selling these parts too cheaply! I start walking whats left of the bike down the aisle and I get a few offers to by just the frame. I do the math and figure I paid $5 less than the original price of the bike and I am ahead after only wanting the wheels. I tell them i think i will keep it! It beomes the basis for my new project. The frame desing is like no other i have ever seen. It was made by DP Harris of Rollfast fame. I can tell this from the chain wheel. I pulled the crank which is stamped 1939. THe final clue as to it's origins came from a very knowledgeable collector who informed me that Sam Schwarz is the man behind FAO Schwarz. He contracted with DP Harris to make a specialty line of bikes sold exclusively at the high end toy retailer. i am not sure how many years the contract existed, but until I had seen this bike, Ian had the only other SAMSCO bike I had ever hears of. The original color is that deep maroon and the foork was originally nickel plated. Must have looked pretty slick. The bike did not come with a rack or seat so I have no reference for those pieces. Hope you enjoyed the story and the pics.

SAMSCO1.jpg

SAMSCO2.jpg

SAMSCO3.jpg

Re: Pre War FAO Schwarz Bike

awesome frame, and great story!! Neat to know about your and Ian's bike. I'd been wondering about that Samsco. Thought it might have been Sam Walton failed project. :lol:

I would be interested to know who the bicycle manufacturer of this bike is and how it was determined what the year is. As you can tell it is very different, yet still has some similarities with certain pieces. Mine has the crank dated 1939. Does anyone think this look newer than a 1938? I agree it looks pre War as it has some tell tale signs but then again it has some components that look to be post war. At any rate, SamsCo bikes are few and far between as they were geared for the upscale market as evidenced by them selling at FAO Schwartz aka $$$ toy store.

Joe

cman said:
Cool bike.... Here is a pic of a 1938 Sam Sco from Buzz Bomb Bikes. -Cool website.
http://www.buzzbombbicycles.com/collect ... tored.html
large_sams.gif

hey Joe - great story. And remember last we were talking about these bikes I said to you that I couldn't read all the badge, and that it read _________ Stores, well that's the word, Triplex. Now that I see your badge, I can tell what mine reads. I'll take a picture of the badge this weekend and post it.

But there is a big difference in our bikes in that mine looks like it was a low end bike - almost no chrome, just the handlebars. Everything else is raw steel. Yours was probably a high end looker.

And you weren't kidding when you said the top tubes were close together. That's neat.

Wow, very cool and unique. I'm going to guess your'e not looking for a tank.... :wink:

Hi Joe,

You've found a very interesting frame.

While the Sam-sco badge attributes the bike to D.P.Harris, both your frame and the Buzz Bomb bike were actually manufactured by the H.P. Snyder Manufacturing Company. D.P. Harris was the firm that marketed bikes for H.P. Snyder and did not actually build frames.

There are several details exhibited by Snyder frames that are helpful for identification. The specific configuration of the arched upper rear fender bridge is one of the best. I have never seen a Snyder frame with the close-set double parallel top tubes like yours but the rest of the frame appears to be identical to a standard Snyder Camelback or a Moto-balloon with the lower top tube modified.

I’d question the 39 on the crank as representing the year of your bike. Rain gutter fenders generally gave way to crescent fenders during 1936 and stepped rims usually connote 1937 and earlier. If the bike actually was constructed in 1939 it was probably assembled to clear old stock. Without the crank as evidence I would guess the bike dated to between 1934 and 1936.

At this point no one has come forward with any documentation to accurately date Snyder frames by Serial number. I have a list of about 30 pre-war numbers and they can be broken down into several groups of patterns that do not seem to relate to each other.

It is possible that the Buzz Bomb Sam-sco is a 1938 but I would tend to agree that it may be somewhat later.

For more information on Snyder Bicycles, a book on Snyder and Rollfast has recently been published and is available at the CABE. I haven’t seen a copy yet but I understand it is an excellent book and reference.

Phil

Re: Pre War FAO Schwarz Bike - Pic Update 11-16

See the condition of the wheels in the original post. 6 hours later the rear wheel has been cleaned and the hub was completely taken apart and all pieces cleaned, inspected, worn parts replaced and rebuilt. In Hot Rod fashion I have installed a Felt Quick Brick. The crank is bent and so I am in search of a replacement. I tried to straighten it and even used some heat and a vice, but it simply would not cooperate. I guess it is much easier to bend them than to unbend them! :roll:

Samscoph1a.jpg

Samscoph1b.jpg

Here are the final pics of my HP Snyder Designed, DP Harris built SAMSCO badged Hot Rod inspired rider. With a board track edge (my favorite design) and a unique frame design from the early 30's i have spent a lot of hours very carerfully cleaning, lightly sanding, polishing, greasing and rebuilding. The fruits of my laborr are as follows. Enjoy!

Forgot to mention that the serial number on this bike is X #####. Thats right - X. I wonder if that means Experimental?
Oh yeah, those are the same wheels as in the first pic. Lots of scraping and sanding and cleaner baths!.

Final1.jpg

Final2.jpg

Final3.jpg

Final4.jpg

Final5.jpg

Final6.jpg

Final7.jpg

Final8.jpg

Turned out great....love the wheel tire combo.

Now...take that beautiful bike outside and shoot some photos sans the chaotic hot wheels backdrop. :wink:

Nice! I love the finished bike. It came out looking very different and very classic. Those tires are mint! Where can those be found, may I ask?

Back