Salt & Sea - real cruiser needed

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
RatRod:

Hey guys I need some help and direction. I am looking to purchase two (2) new beach cruisers, one adult men's and one adult women's. These bikes will be used daily and stored at the beach. I need something tough, durable, strong, rust resistant, and easy to ride. The bikes will be ridden mainly on sand & beach and grass/sand,fairly level (some rough pavement will also be involved). I am looking for a fat tire (beach sand), 1 speed,coaster brake, bike. A bike that is well built, will last, can take a beating, but is a super value.
I do not care about bells and whistles, just a bike we can have for years. It will be kept at the beach, so sand and salt will be a good part of its life. Something I can hose off and lean against the rail outside on the covered deck. My thought is the fewer parts, and simpler the design, the better. I do not care if it is the newest model, or last years model. Just the right bike at the right price. The men's and women's model do not have to be the same (aesthetics are not important). Name/brand does not matter.....just quality, durability, and value!

So far, I have been pointed to 3G, Phat, Aero Fast, Crown, Sixthreezero, and a couple of others. I really do not know enough about this, and need help.

What do you recommend? Thanks a million.

Mark

escapeartist said:
It will be kept at the beach, so sand and salt will be a good part of its life. Something I can hose off and lean against the rail outside on the covered deck.

This practice will slowly corrode ANY bike, whether older American steel, or newer Taiwanese alloy. You might as well scrounge the local ads for used "cheapie" Taiwan cruisers, and consider them disposable. When it wears out, toss/sell it, and pick up another disposable cruiser. If it rides good for the price, buy it.

If you intend to spend more on a pricier "name brand" cruiser, consider taking better care of it, so it will last longer.

Thank you for the replies so far. I do not really plan on disrespecting my cruiser by leaving it outside in the ocean elements; I was trying to set the stage. I do not want a cheap beater that is disposable when it breaks down. I really am looking for the best options & manufacturer of quality, durable,well designed, good value beach cruiser. I do not care about name brands or bells and whistles.
Any thoughts on the 3G Newport Boa-G, or the Crown heck on Wheels? Please keep the suggestions coming.

Find a local bike shop that carries Electra, and try out something like a "Coaster" model (single speed or 3). Classic cantilever styling, light weight, comfortable, and well built. Electra's are pricier then most others, but are popular and retain good value for future resale.

I looked up that 3G Boa, and I think it looks hoakie. It's got goofy lines. Compare the profile of it with an Electra cantilever framed bike, and you might agree. And that Crown looks like a cheap imitation of an Electra Rat Rod. Maybe they cost less, but I can see why.

I have to agree with rooski on the Electra, hold up real well..what beach you inhabit ? Me and Bikeangel are going to be cruising westcliff in Santa Cruz this weekend ?

Back