SA 3 speed coaster hub

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just picked up this Sturmy Archer 3 speed coaster hub and am completely unfamiliar with it. Marking says 71 12
SA3Hub-1.jpg

1. It's pretty grimy on the out side. What's the best way to clean it? Can I soak it in some degreaser? I've heard filling the oil hole with transmission fluid would help loosen the insides.

2. There appears to be some red thread coming out of it. Is this normal, if so what is it?

3. What length spokes would be right for 24" rims?

Any info or tips on this hub would be great.

I've cleaned them up with some degreaser or just an oily rag. The chrome on those is good so they usually shine like new. Sounds like yours is 1971. The red thread is probably just wrapped around the axle, doesn't belong there.

If it's a TCW model, be careful! If it gets out of adjustment, or caught between gears, you lose your brakes too! They replaced it w/the S3C, which was safer, but not as reliable as the current AWC. -Adam

toothbrush and WD-40 will clean it all up nice, as for the insides just put in some oil, dont take it apart, you may lose something like i did on my non coaster model, which ruined the hub. :roll:

Back