S&S Rainbow 26" BMX Cruiser Build - Blue, Silver, and Black

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
21   0   0
So I picked up an S&S frame off of Mr. Tick (of Mr. Tick's BMX and Klunker parts) a while back. It was a crazy pink color, and I decided a more conservative blue would be more to my liking. So I set out to find an S&S fork, which is not a quick task. After some patience, I was able to find an S&S fork with very impressive welds. Now that I had an S&S Rainbow and Fork, I went to my Powder Coater in Monroe, NC to have a deep, almost candy blue coating applied. This color is really interesting and the pictures don't really capture the detail and depth completely. I will post more pics in differing degrees of sunlight to show the color in a more representative manner. S&S decals are difficult to come by, so I started with one of their header decals and a photocopy of an original. Then had some top tube decals made. Still waiting on the fork, headbadge, and seat tube decals.

My plan is to go with a blue, silver and black theme minimally using anodized parts. We shall see how it comes out! :) Here are some parts I've gathered.
  • 26X1.75 Belgium made Weinman Rims - these have no ridges and remind me of a 1.75 version of 2.125 Ukais.
  • Made in the USA Wald Longhorn bars with the Wald sticker still on them.
  • Brooks B12 Hairpin. NOS Black Cycle Pro 9/16 Rat Traps.
  • A set of Sugino Super Maxy cranks. Sugino Chainring.
  • Suntour thumb shifter and Deraileur - gonna be a 5 speed
  • Weinman 1080 brakes front and rear
  • Diacompe Brake Levers
  • I have a Blue Tuf Neck stem which may be the only anodized part I use

Anyway here's some pictures to get started...

How I bought the frame from Mr Tick

Door to Drakes Powder Coating - a little ironic that the decal is peeling on a place that does "coatings". Don't let that fool ya :)- they are perfectionists!

Just part of their incredible selection of colors

S&S Frame and Fork

Building the Rainbow Decal Set

Back