Rusty Rocket

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Back in July, my friend Patrick gave me this Monark Western Flyer and a few other parts. I've never built a Monark bike before, so I was pretty excited to fix it up! And it's even been painted a nice (if worn) blue, one of my favorite colors!
BftD_monark_wf_1.jpg

The tank has definitely seen better days, but I figured it'd be a fun challenge to try and hammer it back into shape. I don't have any other balloon bikes with the original tank, so as rough as it is, I'm happy the tank is still there.
BftD_monark_wf_3.jpg

A little while later in October, I started throwing the parts bin at this bike. I wasn't sure how I wanted to build it. I tried going for a stretched sort of "hot rod" look, I played around with a lowrider vibe, I even tried building it as an old school off-road klunker.
BftD_monark_old_mockups_1.jpg
BftD_monark_old_mockups_2.jpg
BftD_monark_old_mockups_3.jpg
BftD_monark_old_mockups_4.jpg
BftD_monark_old_mockups_6.jpg
BftD_monark_old_mockups_7.jpg

Eventually, I settled on this sort of street bomber/klunker hybrid look. I liked how it looked, especially with how the cream-colored tires and brown wheels, seat and tank insert complimented the blue paint, but I just couldn't help but wonder if there was a way for me to build the bike with the original tank...
BftD_monark_old_mockups_8.jpg

Last night, I took advantage of the relatively warmer weather, and mock up more parts on the Monark.

I got an idea for mounting the handlebars from a picture of an earlier prewar Monark by @oldfart36 on The C.A.B.E. The handlebars on his bike were similar to your standard cruiser bars, except they mounted to the stem by a cross bar, which made the handlebars sit lower.
20231019_150732.jpg

I'd never seen that done before, so I thought I'd try it with a pair of BMX bars I had laying around. I also had a set of rusty chrome ducktail fenders that I had modified for another bike that I tried on, and they fit almost perfectly!
BftD_rusty_rocket_mockups_12-17-23_1.jpg
BftD_rusty_rocket_mockups_12-17-23_2.jpg

For extra weirdness, I mocked up some truss rods running through the handlebars. I've never seen it done before, and I dig it!
BftD_rusty_rocket_mockups_12-17-23_3.jpg

I also found that the chain guard from an AMF Pilot girl's bike I parted out fit this Monark frame almost perfectly! The paint was even a near-match as well! Plus, that rocket graphic felt like a perfect fit for this bike, since I usually see this style of Monark bike originally built and sold as a "Rocket."
BftD_rusty_rocket_mockups_12-17-23_4.jpg
BftD_rusty_rocket_mockups_12-17-23_5.jpg

The only thing stopping me from mounting this chain guard right away was that there was some metal on top of the chain guard that got in the way of the seat stay. But as you can see, the bolt lines up with the rear mounting hole!
BftD_rusty_rocket_mockups_12-17-23_6.jpg

I didn't have a pair of tin snips, a hacksaw or a cut-off wheel nearby, and I didn't want to wait for Dad to bring any of his tools home from the shop, so I took a pair of wire cutters I didn't care about, and used my bike stand to squeeze them tight until they cut through the chain guard.
BftD_rusty_rocket_mockups_12-17-23_7.jpg
BftD_rusty_rocket_mockups_12-17-23_8.jpg
BftD_rusty_rocket_mockups_12-17-23_9.jpg

It didn't cut all the way through, so I chiseled it down to where I wanted with a screwdriver and a hammer. Then I folded the interfering piece down flat with the hammer.
BftD_rusty_rocket_mockups_12-17-23_10.jpg

BINGO! Who would have thought that a later '60s AMF chain guard would perfectly fit an earlier '50s Monark frame? I didn't, but I'm glad I had the idea to try it!
BftD_rusty_rocket_mockups_12-17-23_11.jpg
BftD_rusty_rocket_mockups_12-17-23_12.jpg
BftD_rusty_rocket_mockups_12-17-23_13.jpg

As much as I loved my "truss rods through the BMX handlebars" idea, the more I looked at this bike, the more I felt it needed a more traditional set of handlebars. Fortunately, I had some bars that looked just right on this bike. They're more old school, and they have enough patina to tie in with the rusty chrome fenders and wheels. I liked the previous handlebar mockup, but I think those are better left for another, wilder build.

Thinking about that rocket on the chain guard, and how some Monarks like this started life as "Rocket" bikes, I decided to mock up a few more parts that fit with that fit. I had a star-studded AMF chainring that was a little too rusty for one of my shinier builds, but was just right for this one. I also had an Oldsmobile rocket hood ornament I picked up at the same auction where I got my first vintage bike over 5 years ago. In fact, it was the only other thing I brought home from that auction aside from that old Schwinn! I plan to mount that Old rocket ornament on the front fender, front and center.

After seeing this bike turn into what it has, I also decided on a name for it: Rusty Rocket!
BftD_rusty_rocket_mockups_12-17-23_14.jpg
BftD_rusty_rocket_mockups_12-17-23_15.jpg
BftD_rusty_rocket_mockups_12-17-23_16.jpg

The only other parts I want to mock up on the bike now are the color-matched fork that came with the bike, and some dirty whitewall tires on an older pair of chrome wheels. The fork that came with the bike is bent back and to one side, but if I can find someone who can bend it back into shape, that's what I'd like to use. As for the wheels and tires, I just picked up a good donor for both of those parts last week! As cool as this old Firestone Pilot is, I'm not attached to it. I got it for parts, so I'm going to use it for parts!
BftD_Firestone_Pilot_Rat_1.jpg

BftD_rusty_rocket_mockups_12-17-23_17.jpg
BftD_rusty_rocket_mockups_12-17-23_18.jpg

So that's where I'm at on this bike right now. I'll try and mock up the tires later this week, but I probably won't make any other real progress on it until after the holidays are over. This will make a good winter project, as all this bike needs is for the bearings and bearing cups to be cleaned up and greased up, and just general reassembly. I'm not going to paint it up or shine it up. I'm just going to get it rolling again.

Last edited:
For extra weirdness, I mocked up some truss rods running through the handlebars. I've never seen it done before, and I dig it!
It's an interesting look. I'm curious how it would look with a headlight mounted inside the handlebar, attached where the stem normally is. Might be a lot with the trusses though...

It's an interesting look. I'm curious how it would look with a headlight mounted inside the handlebar, attached where the stem normally is. Might be a lot with the trusses though...
I had actually posed one of my "fence post headlights" like what you're talking about, but it wound up being a bit too busy. I bet I could make that idea work on a different bike though.

Did a little digital mockup of Rusty Rocket in Photoshop.
BftD_rusty_rocket_graphics.jpg

At first I just wanted to put the bike's name on the chain guard and add a design to the tank, but then I came up with a few more ideas of how to take this rusty blue Monark to the next level. I "mounted" the chrome Olds rocket to the fender, and lined it up with the tank graphic. I added a little rocket to the fork, and some patina'd scallops to the frame. I also added a "backing plate" behind the chainring to help make the stars pop even more. I got to say, the more I tinker with this bike, the more I'm falling in love with the whole space-age vibe it's giving me! I can hardly wait to fix up this old Monark and make it my own!

Back in July, my friend Patrick gave me this Monark Western Flyer and a few other parts. I've never built a Monark bike before, so I was pretty excited to fix it up! And it's even been painted a nice (if worn) blue, one of my favorite colors!
View attachment 254400

The tank has definitely seen better days, but I figured it'd be a fun challenge to try and hammer it back into shape. I don't have any other balloon bikes with the original tank, so as rough as it is, I'm happy the tank is still there.
View attachment 254401

A little while later in October, I started throwing the parts bin at this bike. I wasn't sure how I wanted to build it. I tried going for a stretched sort of "hot rod" look, I played around with a lowrider vibe, I even tried building it as an old school off-road klunker.
View attachment 254402View attachment 254403View attachment 254404View attachment 254405View attachment 254407View attachment 254408

Eventually, I settled on this sort of street bomber/klunker hybrid look. I liked how it looked, especially with how the cream-colored tires and brown wheels, seat and tank insert complimented the blue paint, but I just couldn't help but wonder if there was a way for me to build the bike with the original tank...
View attachment 254409
Nice, that tank will come back with your TOC.

Thanks! That tank will be a great piece to learn how to do bodywork!
My rat tank was a lot worse than yours. Mega dents and rust. I put it in white vinegar and pin holes and paper clip tip sized holes showed up. I removed about 90% of the dents with doilies and a body hammer and then put a layer of fiberglass inside. Bondo smoothed it out. It’s primed and ready for paint now.

Latest posts

Back