Rust In Peace, little guy...

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Growing up in a farm town of the midwest, I learned rust was bad. It was the bane of every farmer. Guys who restored classic cars hated it, too. I assumed it must be a terrible thing. It has taken me years to reverse that way of thinking, but I now appreciate rust- especially when it is in an advanced state; it takes on a life of it's own. Not unlike a coral reef, a rusted object eventually changes shape and inevitably begins to house life. Spiders, and insects of every type seem to like all the little hiding spaces. Maybe they just appreciate a beautiful home!

Such was the case of this prewar 20" basket case I found the other day. It was wedged between two large granite boulders on a creek bank here in Baltimore county. I thought it might be something I could save, but quickly determined it was too far gone. Having been the one to rescue it, I was obligated to throw it in the back of the truck and haul it home. I took a few pictures, and thought you guys might see the beauty in it. My wife spent more than a few minutes trying to find just the right spot for it in the vegetable garden. "May it rust in peace", she said.

Mike.

IMG_1603.jpg

IMG_1607.jpg

IMG_1608.jpg

IMG_1609.jpg

IMG_1610.jpg

IMG_1611.jpg

IMG_1612.jpg

IMG_1613.jpg

IMG_1617.jpg

IMG_1618.jpg

IMG_1619.jpg

IMG_1620.jpg

IMG_1621.jpg

That right there is what I like to call 'lawn art.'

I'm sure it had its day when it was the fastest bike for miles around. 8)

Lonewolf said:
What kind of camera is that?

I used the popular little Canon SD780 (AKA the "ELPH"). It's a cult classic. I dig it. It's slightly smaller than the size of a deck of playing cards, so it took these "all-thumbs hands" some time to get used to it, but I'm starting to dial it in....

Looks like this-->

31SE8FxiiZL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

So ... you will be parting it out or you won't be parting it out? :lol:

Yeah I think it's pretty crusty there. Looks like those pictures you see of the Titanic sitting there so sad on the ocean floor. If bikes could talk, ah the stories this one could tell.

aww, how sad to see its a goner. but, a nice piece for the garden indeed. and its a 20" zep frame! 8)

Wow man! That's a real work in progress or should I say REGRESS(I didn't know that word existed till I looked it up in the dictionary :D ). Just add bondo, its working for the van I drive :idea:

Latest posts

Back