Rusoleum Vs Krylon

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
I usually have frames powder coated but my next project will require me to spray paint the frame a few times.

What do most of you recommend when it comes time to spray paint your projects ?

I like Rustoleum. It's thick and coats evenly. But Kyrlon is pretty good too.

The x2 Rustoleum is more user friendly IMO, and much faster curing than the standard formula. Krylon has been reformulated sometime in the past couple of decades and works ok as well.

I've been lucky enough to find Dupli-Color and other "automotive" paints at my local Ollie's. I have been getting the small cans for 59 cents and regular cans for $1.99.

Can you say "cheapskate"?

But, to answer the thread title....Rustoleum.

And Lowes brand Valspar sprays well, too!

That fork is beautiful peatbog! 8)

I like both brands. Primed and painted an outdoor electrical box with Rusto about 15 yrs. ago and it still looks great. Paint my bikes with Krylon. Dingo is right, some colors are a bit runny. Black is the worst and is tricky to use. The beige/cream color, on the other hand, is almost impossible to mess up. They need to figure out how to put hardener in rattle cans like auto paint has. Rattle can paint just chips too easily. Gary

Rustoleum all the way, lays down in nice even coats, covers well, drys relatively quick, and looks great.

Not this debate again! Stop before it gets out of hand!

I use what's cheapest, I've have every brand of spray paint do well and every brand mess up, sometimes it's the paint, sometimes it's me, experiment and use what you like, your process will not be like everyone else's so results will vary.

Like Brett said above, Ollie's sells cheap paint and I too have bought the Duplicolor automotive paint, little cans for .99 cents and bigger cans for $2 (Rocky Mount, NC).

I finally got around to using some of the duplicolor on Saturday, it's a metallic dark gray, I painted the alloy wheels on my car, that stuff is AWESOME! Coated evenly, even when I held a little too close and thought it would definitely run. So smooth, great stuff! Fumes are a little more noxious than Krylons and Rustoleums and store brands, but I was outside, so it's all good. I think for bikes that I really care about from now on I'm using the automotive spray paint.

I used Dupli-Color's Metalcast paint to do my nephew's MTB frame over the weekend. It came out excellent; I'll have to take some pictures out in the sunlight before I assemble it. The silver basecoat is the closest I've ever seen paint come to looking like raw aluminum. I could see using just that with a clear over it for something. The kid likes yellow, so that's what I went with for a top coat. All I have now are cell phone pics that were taken in the shop under a combination of fluorecent and halogen light. Makes the color in the pictures look greener than it really does. I'll be shooting it with SprayMax clearcoat next week, after the paint has fully cured.

What? No fans of Wallyworld paint? Cheap is my middle name!
2012-04-03_20-03-25_328.jpg

Turtlesixfour said:
What? No fans of Wallyworld paint? Cheap is my middle name!

I use this stuff all the time and I love it, if you ask around enough and make some calls you'll find out who this paint is made by, probably Krylon or Rustoleum.

Turtlesixfour said:
What is Ollie's?

A discount outlet closeout/buyout store, similar to Big Lots, but a better variety of changing stock.

http://www.olliesbargainoutlet.com/stor ... tores.aspx

Peatbog,

If your skills get those results with a rattle can.......I'm thinking the brand doesn't matter much...I'd love to see what you can do with some rusty water and a rol :mrgreen: ler

Valspar, is the last brand that I used and I had good results,liked the way the nozzle applies the paint like a fine mist. Quote- Easy-Spray Technology, top coat anytime,quick drying,no drips "

Not a fan of Krylon paint by I like their clear, and the only rustoleum that I like is the painter's touch line. But for primer I am all about dupli-color. I mix them and I have never had bad results. Haha, that should answer your question.

Back