Rumble Seat (Rollfast tandem)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I built a tandem out of two old Schwinns, and I have ridden it with my 6 year old. I would be very leary of putting a child in a seat behind him on the tandem. You are certainly free to take your own chances, but I wasn't comfortable with the stability. I actually have the old period correct kids seat ready to go and everything, I just don't feel comfortable enough to put both kids behind me.
CHAZ

actually to remove stickers I use a hair dryer. crank it up to high and put right on the sticker to melt the old glue, it will smell funny but that is the sign it is working. leave it on the sticker till you can peel it off at the corner, WATCH OUT, ITS HOT!! :shock: okay glad the safety message is over :roll: you will be left with a slight film of left over un-melted glue, nothing goo-gone or WD40 wouldnt get rid of

hope this helps :mrgreen:

oh duh after reading closely I finnally saw that you wanted to keep the stickers :lol: ohwell, I think crazy glue would smooth them out or something equal

yes from the pics it looks like the paint is good especially when wet

great frame! and the dual chain-guards?! after i built my tandem for the build-off, i've seen 3 tandems lately on the site with the c 8) 8) lest chain guards!!
best of luck with your build! after you build a tandem, you're always looking for them :wink:

bighit said:
now i have to figure out how to mount my new original head tube badge.

Well I would Assume it is metal right? If so you could ether use a rivet gun if you have one or do what Rat Rod does! He uses screws, and I followed his example on a Columbia of mine: Tangerine Girl
100_2142.jpg

all you need to do is find really small screws and drill some holes :D

this probably wasn't the correct way :D but I just got a metal bit and drilled a hole just a tad smaller, then forcing the screws in :mrgreen:

it worked and they aren't coming out!

i agree. the skirts are a nice addition for the rear-end of the bike.
your mock-up tape trick is pretty clever too :wink:

Brian,

The skirts look sweet! Glad to see them put to a good use. Really digging the build so far!

Chris

will your bars match front to back?
i went with apes up front and similar but much lower for the wife in the back.
i like the seat too :mrgreen:

Do you have a welder and a grinder? Maybe you could grind out the places where the tire rubs and if it goes through the tubing too much you could weld in a shaped 1/8" thick plate. I've done this on other bikes in the past to fit wider than normal tires. When finished try to allow at least 1/4" between your tire and the frame. Just a suggestion, and I really like this build, its looking really cool!

Later Travis

just a thought , maybe if you want you can trim the fender where it hits the frame ,i've done it a couple of times in the past, love the bike, nice work

HF sells a cheap hammer and dolly set for doing bodywork. Like under $30 for the set. http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/D ... mber=31277

I'd suggest getting one and you can also make dollies out of hardwood, aluminum or even steel. I'd use the dolly on the inside of the fender at the spot where it rubs the tire and hammer from the outside, The fender will take the shape of the dolly from the inside relieving the area of the rub.

Later Travis

Latest posts

Back