"ruining" a frame..

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you feel like if you paint/change/modify a bike you feel a little bad? Maybe I put too much love or something into it..
So I'm looking for a originally painted black, cantlever or unusual 20" frame, hey, we all have a vision of what we wanna build! So like some rust, but original black paint, so a mix of both. I had one opportunity on here and lost it, besides that, not much out there.. I like the Huffy Monoshock, but not going to pay $200+, since it's not to rebuild a Monoshock! So I could easily get a red or blue or what have you Stingray frame, and repaint it black, but would rather find one already originally black, and has the "patina" mix, rather than "ruin" a 68' red frame! Ya know? Also no patina there, unless I fake it, but don't really want to do that.. But feel wrong in ruining a frame, when I know there's one out there! Cost of course is somewhat of an issue..
So I guess two things here.. would you find the cheapest Stingray/etc frame and repaint it, (but lose the original look and patina it had), but "ruin" the original paint, but you can get closer to your "vision", ( I can pretty easily do that), or try to hold out for what you're looking for, the "perfect frame" with paint/patina as you want?
I guess I feel a little bad with repainting a frame that has originality to it, since it's not what I wanted but tried to force it into what I want. Especially since it's out there.. But Ebay or local Craigslist doesn't seem to see the value in patina, so many "cleaned" or "primed" frames.. Generally, it seems, a rusty frame, handlebars, parts, etc., are all now recylcle material.. I even have a repop black stingray in pretty good condition, I could make into what I want, but would gladly trade it for an original patina black frame, rather than "ruin" it, on the same note, as someone would want it as is!

Keep looking for the exact frame you want. You'll find it eventually. In the mean time, I don't consider repainting over an original paint job ruining it unless it is in 1) mint condition, 2) really rare, or 3) really old. The "cheapest StingRay frame you can find" will definitely not be one in mint condition. Paint away and have fun! Gary

Depends what it is, my junk Kulana, PAINTED!
All the old Schwinns I have built over the years, clear coated the "patina."

Just depends on rarity to me. I wouldn't cut a genuine 60s-70s stingray frame, no matter what the paint conditon is. I wouldn't feel bad about cutting a murray or western flyer from the same era unless it was very clean and in original condition. On the other hand, some of the Sears muscle bikes are not rare, but I would hesitate to cut one. I guess it is a personal thing.

Back