RUFF CYCLES "LUCKY" BUILD - (FINISHED)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
10 mm makes quite a difference when you consider how close the crank arms are to center line of the bike. Because the pedal sticks out further, that 10 mm is amplified when you lean. Check out my awesomely drawn diagram:
Lean of bike.jpg

Not as much of a difference as one might think.

Lean of bike.jpg

Lean of bike.jpg

I'm not convinced. The width of pedals and overall q-factor of the cranks along with the bottom bracket height would vastly affect the change in lean angle. Your diagram appears to have a really high BB height and wide stance which would lessen the difference in lean angle. From personal experience, I know it makes a noticeable difference, however anecdotal it may be.

I'm not convinced. The width of pedals and overall q-factor of the cranks along with the bottom bracket height would vastly affect the change in lean angle. Your diagram appears to have a really high BB height and wide stance which would lessen the difference in lean angle. From personal experience, I know it makes a noticeable difference, however anecdotal it may be.

index.php

If you draw a straight line across from axle to axle you will see the BB is below by about 1 1/2" to 2".
index.php

Lean%20of%20bike.jpg

Yes I may have my BB and crank width a bit out to wide, but what I drew in a CAD program still shows that 10mm doesn't gain you as much as you might think. Even with the crank / pedal pulled in closer the angle that you can lean it more is allot less than you think.

Though lets get back to how COOL this build is....

They seem to get assembled inconsistently. From what I've seen, the rubber is supposed to go right against the bracket with the washers above and below. I tried to look at factory assembled Shelby bikes to see how consistent Felt was with it. I just put one of these on a Basman I'm building.

The seat is okay as far as comfort goes, but it's no cushy gel seat. It's pretty wide so it doesn't quite fit the rear like a Brooks does.

Not sure what it would be like if it were broke in.

Did you get the shorter cranks on it and how did they help out if you did? The bike looks really nice with the choices you made for it.

Yep...the cranks you see there are Redline 160mm arms. Rode it around quite a bit today and didn't scrape the pedals.

Seat tube is 23"

Top tube is 24.75"

I'm 5'9" so we'll see how it fits me in the end.

Nice double bar frames rock....., love the fact that it is bigger......I'd like to have the CroMo version when it comes out and build a 29er Klunker off this frame.....I'm 6'2" and prefer to ride a 20"-22" seat tube with 25" top tube mountain bikes so it works good from me....

Last edited:
Question: I'm about to pull the trigger on one of those forks on Amazon.. And I know it's threadless.. But it doesn't say if it's 1" or 1 1/8"... Which one is it? Am I going to need an adaptor?

Latest posts

Back