RRBBO-8 Preview

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Been playing the name game for my Moto-Bike build. Right now I'm thinking of calling it the...

YAMAHA YZ-24
YZmoto-bike_zps713cdd1c.jpg

The idea is that it's inspired by the YZ motorcycles from the same time period and since I'm going with 24" wheels and a 24 speed hub it just makes sense to me to use 24 in the name.

I'm planning on using a 3x8 SRAM Duel drive internal hub and single chain ring.

Here's a picture...

sram-dualdrive-hub.jpg

I love your Yamaha build idea and that hub is insane!!! That's gotta be a pretty penny right there!

While I like my idea about building around my Higgins beehive and burled wooden tank, I still think I am going to go back to my original ideas I have around my 1953 Columbia Three Star Deluxe.

This will be what I start with. One cool thing about this photo is that every part you see was the result of trades or purchases with RRB members.
banWP_001119.jpg

I'm liking the looks of that. All it needs is assembly! 8) Really diggin the flashes of light from the front fork! :lol: :mrgreen:

LukeTheJoker said:
What about the Yamaha TRM24? The Renaissance Man?

Luke.

That would work really nice if it were a Suzuki. I used to ride a Suzuki RM 125 back in the '80s. It actually looked very similar to the YZ and was even yellow.

LukeTheJoker said:
That is one crazy cool hub!
Luke.
kingfish254 said:
I love your Yamaha build idea and that hub is insane!!! That's gotta be a pretty penny right there!

Yea, I'm really looking forward to trying it out! What's interesting also is that the shifter has both controls on the right hand. I guess you could use a front derailleur with three rings and get 72 speeds!
I'm not sure what one would cost. The one that I have was given to me!

Thanks for the props on the build idea kingfish, I'm glad to see that your going back to the Columbia Three Star. 8)

I'm still moving forward with getting the burled fir wood for the Higgins for later, but I am pretty sure that the Columbia will be my BO8 bike. Flames and wings will be involved. I plan on drilling out the eye sockets of this and making it my headlight too.

skullPhoto_C8AF742D-DCA4-CAEC-1D8C-7DB765EABEBC.jpg

THREE WEEKS FROM TODAY THE MADNESS BEGINS!!!!

Well with 3 weeks to go I have altered my game plan again! Just slightly though. My frame just doesn't have the shape of the Stone Woods and Cook Willy's gasser, Also it's not even close to the same time frame so why would it? We're talking a 30+ year gap. The Willy's has nice curves, my frame is about as square as a frame can get. So what to do? I got to doing some research on Stone Woods and Cook and stumbled upon something with some nice lines that match my bike PERFECT.... The Stone Woods and Cook "Dark Horse 2"

I mean the color is spot on, the shape is spot on, the year range is right there close, and it's just fast enough to live up to the bike's original name "The Fast One". Not to mention the name "Dark Horse 2" sounds nice. Now I am PUMPED for this build!

523859_455074637841570_395816454_n_zps4a09fbd1.jpg

378776_355040421178326_1664894639_n_zps39a5cc41.jpg

DB7EF7D4-D590-4DB0-89B2-9900408FA0B3-7999-000014324E71742A_zps446f6d43.jpg

I hereby reserve the name "Dark Horse 2" for my build off bike. :mrgreen:

Looking forward to seeing what you come up with RandytheRat! I wish I had a pipe roller and oxy set...

outskirtscustoms said:

I guess if I reserve "Dark Horse 1" for my build you will forever be the imitator? :mrgreen:
Just kidding, awesome theme and looking forward to seeing what you come up with! :wink:

Luke.

Thanks Luke got some plans in my head but nothing like
you build. which are great builds just like to say enjoy all your postive comments to every one need more like you.
Randy

outskirtscustoms said:
Well with 3 weeks to go I have altered my game plan again! Just slightly though. My frame just doesn't have the shape of the Stone Woods and Cook Willy's gasser, Also it's not even close to the same time frame so why would it? We're talking a 30+ year gap. The Willy's has nice curves, my frame is about as square as a frame can get. So what to do? I got to doing some research on Stone Woods and Cook and stumbled upon something with some nice lines that match my bike PERFECT.... The Stone Woods and Cook "Dark Horse 2"

I mean the color is spot on, the shape is spot on, the year range is right there close, and it's just fast enough to live up to the bike's original name "The Fast One". Not to mention the name "Dark Horse 2" sounds nice. Now I am PUMPED for this build!

523859_455074637841570_395816454_n_zps4a09fbd1.jpg

378776_355040421178326_1664894639_n_zps39a5cc41.jpg

DB7EF7D4-D590-4DB0-89B2-9900408FA0B3-7999-000014324E71742A_zps446f6d43.jpg

Perfect fit! Maybe you could combine the two names "Dark Horse 2" & "The Fast One" and call it "Dark Horse One"

Thanks, I really don't want to go for "dark horse one" because that would be a different car all together. Besides "Dark Horse Two" sounds like I crashed the first one in a fiery inferno of carnage and build it back stronger and faster than the original. :mrgreen:

I ordered a SRAM Duel Drive 175mm 33T crankset for the YAMAHA YZ 24 yesterday. So far it's the only "new" part that I've collected for the build.

I like the idea of matching the same series components for the drive train. I'm now on the hunt for a Duel Drive x8 derailleur for cheap!

8470048.jpg

Latest posts

Back