Rollfast

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice build, I'm catching up on builds and noted your black fly comments.
I used to climb and work on radio and cell phone towers. Once, inside a water tower, (they often have cells on top) when I got to the top, still inside the tower, I came to a small room
with a hatch to get to the "roof". This room was stuffed with a zillion flies! As I groped to the hatch, they flew in my ears and nose and mouth! As soon as I made it out to the top of the tower I threw off my coat and just spit and coughed and just shuddered at what I had just been through! Yuck isn't a strong enough word. That was one of the worst things to ever happen to me in my life!

Carl.

There were almost no bugs on our Wednesday night ride last night, too cold. It was the annual remembrance ride for a founding member of the club and the main guy that built the single track trails. There were about 150 riders. Yesterday the temperature was in the 30F and we had frost. We all went to a nearby camp ground and built a fire, had a keg donated by the local brew pub, had munchies and huddled around the big fire. There were a lot of new riders in our group of mostly old timers and beginning women. We went very slow for 12 miles but I rode real well, even climbed the steep technical parts I normally can't do. I must have been showing off for the several good looking 20 year old gals. For the first time I wasn't the oldest rider, there was an awesome 72 year old dude who had me beat by 2 years. Everyone made sure I knew I was knocked off the oldest rider throne.

I wired the switch, which is on the right side of my headlight mount and on the left is a plug in connector board that I made out of an old bicycle wheel friction generator. My plan it to find some kind of plastic that will fit over the exposed wires, perhaps cut out of a rectangular plastic container? I want to pump this full of silicon. I corrected the angle on the headlight mount so the light should shine straight ahead when mounted up.
IMG_0051.JPG

Last edited:
Sounds like a great ride, and community you are a part of up there. Sorry about the 30 temps, but as you say, at least the bugs weren't out...!

I removed the fenders and chain guard from the woman's CWC that I found this week. The plan is to fit them to my BO11 bike. They are nice and straight with minimal surface rust on just a few small places. I cleaned them with Simple Green, a brass brush, then tooth brush and finally more Simple Green and steel wool. A lot of the red repaint was oxidized and came off. They are drying in the sun on my truck. Next I will clean with acetone, lightly sand them, touch the rust with gun metal rust remover and then use a little filler. The previous repaint was good as the person who painted it disassembled it and painted all surfaces. There are no drips so the plan at this time is to prime over the red and filler and then paint.
IMG_0055 1.JPG

Last edited:
View attachment 25142 It's raining today so I worked on my fenders. I make hammering dollies out of left over concrete or mortar. I just line a good fender or good part of a fender with plastic wrap and pour in the concrete. You can get most of the dents out by feeling or seeing the dents and then tapping against the dolly. After I put on several coats of primer, sanding reveals the spots you missed. They are the bare metal places on the bottom side of the peak. I then use a small ball-peen hammer and the dolly to remove the remaining high and low spots. I have to use a little filler as I don't have a roller and would probably ruin the finders if I had an English wheel.

You need to write up this cool idea in the "How To" section.

You need to write up this cool idea in the "How To" section.

I already did write it up there, about a year ago. It's on page 5 under peaked fender hammering dolly. It's a simple thing to do, line the the fender with the tacky food plastic wrap, and pore in concrete. A 60 pound bag is very cheap. You have to make them for different parts of the fenders. Some of them I have broken in half to make moving them around easier. I made them for peaked fenders. Sometimes it is easier to just buy new regular fenders than trying to hammer them out. Peaked fenders are another story as they are harder to come by. They work pretty well for peaked fenders. The fenders that I was using them on came out of a 55 gal steel drum that was in a farm yard and full of water for years. The rear was twisted and bent with creases like a pretzel. I got them for free so I figured I had nothing to loose to try and fix them. I soaked them in phosphoric acid and they has several pin holes after the bath. I plugged the holes with JB Weld that was mixed with fiberglass wool. I already put the front one that I banged out on the woman's CWC I found this week. Looking at them when they came out of the rain barrel I thought they were probably unsalvageable but twisting them back by hand and then hammering on them made them straight and took a crease out. They will be good for a few more years of riding anyway. I guess I was challenged to find a way to get them straight for cheap and decided to fill them when I had come concrete remaining after I patched some ice/salt damage on my entry steps.

Cultural and social-geographic differences are largely misunderstood in this country. We talk about tolerance, but do little to increase understanding. I have spent some time in your part of the country, good friends in Marquette, and parts of the U.P. and far northern WI over 6 summers of adventure camp, along with a few ski trips to the Bessemer area. So while I may not completely understand, I have a 'feel' and some first hand knowledge of where you are coming from.

The important thing to remember is, none of us are any better or worse than another. We all fall short, and are all in need of redemption. No matter what our geographic, social, or cultural position may be.

There, now you don't have to go to church on Sunday.
Not that it's a bad thing to do, mind you.....:grin:

Cultural and social-geographic differences are largely misunderstood in this country. We talk about tolerance, but do little to increase understanding. I have spent some time in your part of the country, good friends in Marquette, and parts of the U.P. and far northern WI over 6 summers of adventure camp, along with a few ski trips to the Bessemer area. So while I may not completely understand, I have a 'feel' and some first hand knowledge of where you are coming from.

The important thing to remember is, none of us are any better or worse than another. We all fall short, and are all in need of redemption. No matter what our geographic, social, or cultural position may be.

There, now you don't have to go to church on Sunday.
Not that it's a bad thing to do, mind you.....:grin:
I deleted my post, probably a little over the top, but I appreciate that you feel like I do. Give me a holler if you visit Marquette again, I'll give you a tour of the local NTN and the RAMBA trails. If you don't do trails the Iron Ore Heritage Trail has just had some big improvements. The hilly section south of Negaunee was just paved and the area west of ishpeming has been graded and crushed rock placed on it. I rode my cruiser with some others 12 miles on it this Thursday. The total distance of the trail is 47 miles, but you can take a bus with a bike rack and ride back.

Both of those ride ideas sound good to me! I'll let you know when I get up that way again.

I gotta get organized. Mt workshop is just as bad everywhere, it is very difficult to walk in here. I have to remove 3 bikes from my shed to get my lawnmower out. My basement has bikes to be assembled. The camp garage is maxed out with stuff and already has all the bikes I need there. My bedroom had the headlight project for my BO11 bike on my dresser and my wife went in there to clean and tossed everything in a paper bag.
IMG_0146.JPG

I have the rear rack painted and the rest of the parts are in primer. Progress is slow.
IMG_0142.JPG
IMG_0143.JPG
IMG_0144.JPG

I cleaned up the skip tooth star chain wheel from the woman's CWC parts bike. It has better chrome than the one I was going to use so a swap is in order. I also found a St Christopher medal under the mud and grease. It cleaned up pretty good with a brass brush and Simple Green. This is also going on my BO11 bike.
IMG_0148 1.JPG

I dismantled the springer for paint. Why is everything on these old bikes a struggle? Someone had substituted a nail for one of the cotter pins that hold the pivot axles in place. I had to use 2 screwdrivers as a wedge so I could get needle nose pliers in there and then I could grasp it with thin vice grips. When I pilled on the nail it broke inside the pivot. Well the nail was too big for the hole so it forced the pivot point to bind. I had to use vice grips to turn the pivot and then I had tool marks on the pivot pin. I could then drive the nail out. Then the pivot pin was stuck from being forced together too much on the jury-rigged side and I had to drive that out. I filled out the tool marks. What a pain for such a simple job.
IMG_0155.JPG

Last edited:
There are few things that compare with the intensity of the black fly season in the U.P. Your description took me right back to early season hiking in Marquette area when my buddy lived up there.
Yeah, that's a brief Spring / Summer up there for sure. I directed an adventure camp on Lake Superior for 3 yrs on the south shore. We did training in the lake that required 15 mins of treading water in case of a canoe capsize....in the first week of June. It would take an hour in the sauna before you could feel anything below your waist....
I lived in the U.P. from age 7 to my 20's. I remember the cool weather and wondering why some people needed air conditioning. The black flies were the worst when we went wild blueberry picking by Thompson. I remember concentrating on filling my bucket and feeling the blood run down my face from black fly bites! And one summer I visited folks who had a cabin on lake Superior near the Soo. They had a sauna going so you could get toasty in it then run out the door and jump into the lake! Then repeat! Great feeling! Really felt awesome after a few trips! It really was a great place to be growing up! :happy:

I cleaned out half my workshop and gave away two more bicycles. I had to take 7 bikes out before I could even get to these two basket cases. One was a 1960 Raleigh and the other was a 70s Fuji road bikes. I also gave away a Chicago Schwinn Suburban. Now I have room to work. I would never finish the Raleigh as I couldn't even find it, let alone work on it. I am now down to about 30 bikes. My ideal is 22. I am now in refuse free bike mode. I actually turned down 3 free bikes recently, 2 1960s woman's tank bikes and a Schwinn camel back. I already have 2 camel backs and the women's bikes really weren't interesting or old enough. One of the woman's bikes had a coaster I didn't recognize. It had a different brake arm but it was so crusty and gobed with grease that I could't scrape enough off to see. Last year I would have jumped on these for the wheels, spokes and coasters but enough is enough. I should be able to make faster progress once I get the other half of the shop dejunked. My pickup is full of junk wheels, frames and other bike components.

I cleaned out half my workshop and gave away two more bicycles. I had to take 7 bikes out before I could even get to these two basket cases. One was a 1960 Raleigh and the other was a 70s Fuji road bikes. I also gave away a Chicago Schwinn Suburban. Now I have room to work. I would never finish the Raleigh as I couldn't even find it, let alone work on it. I am now down to about 30 bikes. My ideal is 22. I am now in refuse free bike mode. I actually turned down 3 free bikes recently, 2 1960s woman's tank bikes and a Schwinn camel back. I already have 2 camel backs and the women's bikes really weren't interesting or old enough. One of the woman's bikes had a coaster I didn't recognize. It had a different brake arm but it was so crusty and gobed with grease that I could't scrape enough off to see. Last year I would have jumped on these for the wheels, spokes and coasters but enough is enough. I should be able to make faster progress once I get the other half of the shop dejunked. My pickup is full of junk wheels, frames and other bike components.
Feel bad about the Schwinn camel back, Those frames look cool.:(

I hope to be like you when I grow up. I used to have a big shop, now I have a big storage building.:(

Feel bad about the Schwinn camel back, Those frames look cool.:(
I could have taken it and given it to you but it would have to stay outside until I go Green Bay eh. Maybe I'll go see if he still has it. It was a project bike, I don't think it had wheels? Other people said they would have taken the woman's cruisers off my hands but I have trouble giving away bikes. It takes awhile to find someone and I don't have time. My wife is after me to clean up for an August wedding, thus my bike giveaway.

Back