Rohloff!!!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
25   0   0
Ya got one, lets see it! One of these bad puppies have been calling me...I am kinda hoping to find a used one or maybe one laying along side the road.... :D

I've been fascinated by these, too.... my bike-nerd fantasy is to have a Rohloff rear coupled with a Schlumpf planetary crank.... I'm more likely to actually make it happen with a patterson crank and a Nuvinci rear....... but yeah, let's see some Rohloffs!

I've been fascinated by these, too.... my bike-nerd fantasy is to have a Rohloff rear coupled with a Schlumpf planetary crank.... I'm more likely to actually make it happen with a patterson crank and a Nuvinci rear....... but yeah, let's see some Rohloffs!
The nuvinci is cool too and who could not like the little bike dude on the shifter going up a hill?! hahaha...I've read they are fairly draggy, but at 1/3 the cost of a rohloff they sound pretty tempting!

Love expensive bike parts!

Rohloff-speedhub-500-14-by-RalfR-05.jpg

They're extra cool with the Gates carbon belt drive.

twenty2-monster-cross-nahbs-2013-cxmagazine-lanceb-kep_4879-e_1.jpg

One of my custom bike buddies down in Fla has a Rohloff 14 speed. He's out at OBC right now and doesn't have a pic. But he sent this chart and said.

"There are a bunch of options too as far as axles, shifting, braking, and mounting. This is a pretty helpful visual diagram though..."​

rohloff.jpg

The silver belt drive disk combo above is pretty nice eh? I wouldn't run planetary hubs in the dirt with the lack of braking power and robustness, especially older ones, but a Rohoff-style, disc setup tempts me. Eventually, we could see a planetary hub for the masses. I see the shifter cable to the silver one above on the left side below the caliper...Nice..

The silver belt drive disk combo above is pretty nice eh? I wouldn't run planetary hubs in the dirt with the lack of braking power and robustness, especially older ones, but a Rohoff-style, disc setup tempts me. Eventually, we could see a planetary hub for the masses. I see the shifter cable to the silver one above on the left side below the caliper...Nice..

Rohloff is no longer the only IGH for the trails; the N360 is trail-approved by the manufacturer and, like many other modern IGHs, it takes a disc. A lot of guys on mtbr are running various Alfies with discs in the dirt, often with ratios FAR lower than what Shimano recommends as "legal"; seems like the 8 is still far more reliable than the 11. I'm kinda tempted to build a Surly 1x1 with one of these on it:
Sturmey-Archer-S2k-Disc-Hub.jpg

Rohloff-speedhub-500-14-by-RalfR-05.jpg

They're extra cool with the Gates carbon belt drive.

I, too, love expensive bike parts.... well, most of'm; there are exceptions........
........such as the Gates carbon belt drive. I cannot overlook all of their major disadvantages, and i scarcely see any real benefits. I happen to like chain lube.

I cannot overlook all of their major disadvantages, and i scarcely see any real benefits. I happen to like chain lube.

Especially not in the dirt or mud (belt) Hmmmmm.....the roller chains on my bikes don't make noise at all if properly maintained & mated to clean chainrings. Maybe try this..:wondering: This is exactly why you don't see the belt drivetrains. To be competitive, they may have to be completely sealed from the elements.

Back