Roadmaster SexChange

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's a review of what I was up to last weekend. I did 3 sex changes, and 1 stretch. Worked for 3 days straight cutting, grinding, welding, and grinding. This first example is the one I'll show first. It's probably the one I'll finish first and use as well.

It's a 19xx Cleveland Welding Company Roadmaster that I purchased for $30 as you see here.
au010012.jpg

au010013.jpg

au010016.jpg

au010014.jpg

It's a skiptooth setup, and the OLD tires that are on it still hold air, but the rear tire has started to separate, and a strip hits the fender when you ride.

au010017.jpg

au010018.jpg

au010020.jpg

So I cut the upper downtube off, clipped the stub, reversed it, and flipped it upside down. Then I welded it in place.

P8130118.jpg

P8140124.jpg

The next issue was moving the seat back over the rear wheel, so I could keep the fantastic original beach bars and not whack my knees every time I made a turn. I got a 5/8" steel rod, and added a gusset for strength. I may drill a small hole through the corner of the gusset and hang a pair of red dice from it!

P8140138.jpg

And this is how it turned-out!

P8140136.jpg

P8140137.jpg

So now, I want to finish the bike. That's going to involve new paint. When I cut the tubes on that bike, I saw what the original color was -- a beautiful indigo iridescent blue. So I'm going to strip it down and paint it a deep indigo pearl blue with antique white trim and accents. I also need to upholster a seat, clean the existing skiptooth chain, polish the hubs, paint the rims antique white (with the blue pinstripe), get the cranks chromed, repaint the head badge, and mount some of those awesome 26 x 2.125 brick red tires.

The bike is a lot of fun to ride, but it is really heavy and geared with some big inch combination. That makes for slow starts, but a decent cruising speed. If any of you can help me pin-down the year of manufacture, I'd appreciate it.

I might know where you can buy a tub of elbow grease, cause your going to need quite a supply! Looks pretty sweet so far but I know some purist's are cringing right now knowing you bastardized a pre-war relic. All girls bikes were built to cut no matter the age!

Keep us posted, later Travis

Boy, are those purists going to cry when they see what I did to my 1940 Monarch Super Deluxe, and the 1920 something bike I chopped. The way I see it, had I not bought this bike, some woman would have, and stuck it in her garden to die of rot. At least I have the good sense to make it a totally cool ride that brings a big grin to my face every time I see it!

I'm not digging the top bar. Here's some pictures of two I did. I would try and make it more factory looking. I'm all for the sex change, but not this. Sorry, Dean
My JC Higgins, no before pictures. It's been this way 20 years.
100_0296.jpg

This was a Huffy, or a Murray, I don't remember. Here's a before pic.
100_0229.jpg

And after.
100_0286.jpg

You have been busy. Bikes are turning out nice. What year is the yellow corvette peaking out? Looks like a 60"s rear.

Big Fat Whitewalls, I didn't want to recreate the stock version of a man's frame -- I wanted something that had better lines and evoked a sense of speed -- I think I accomplished what I wanted to! The frame is MUCH more visually interesting now. Setting the seat back not only improved the ride-ability for a me (I'm 6'0"), but stretched your line of sight, making the bike look "faster." While riding this bike, the profile is really cool, and people take notice immediately. This sculpture kind of evokes the whole notion of what I'm talking about:

PICT0002.jpg

PICT0004.jpg

PICT0005.jpg

Uncle Stretch: you have a good eye. There is a 1967 Corvette rear end peeking out, and in the other shot, I think you can see the '07 Vette. Neither are mine -- both are my father-in-laws (he's a car collector), but he also has the good welder (a new Miller with all the tricks) so I go over there to make sparks once and a while.

Saw the first picture of the sculpture and though it was in your yard and I thought ....Man you are in the wrong business if you can build that :shock: :lol: :lol:

Hope you got a cup cause that's going to be a ball buster!

Later T

Looks great man!!! I love the change! 8)
Good luck with the paint, I´ll be checking the progress on this one.

Well, I took the crank arms and sprocket in today along with a bunch of other stuff for chroming, and it won't be done for 6 weeks. :cry: That should give me some time to work on other projects and get ready to paint. Perhaps tomorrow I'll start buzzing the frame with the braided wire wheel on my angle grinder and lay some etching primer on it.

I'm a fan of the sex change :shock: and is a great way to make a good looking and riding bike. You either got big ones or three of them. I would have been to scared to cut that Road Master up but you have done this bike justice. It's looking great and look forward to the finish.

GL

johnp.smith said:
Where is that sculpture? I love it

That's up at the Rahr West Art Museum in Manitowoc, WI. http://www.rahrwestartmuseum.org/ Those photos don't do the actual sculpture justice -- it looks better in person. A friend took those pictures for me (I live in the southern part of WI, and Manitowoc is mid-state on the shore of Lake Michigan.)

Graylock said:
I'm a fan of the sex change :shock: and is a great way to make a good looking and riding bike. You either got big ones or three of them. I would have been to scared to cut that Road Master up but you have done this bike justice. It's looking great and look forward to the finish.
GL

Graylock, I had no problem taking the portaband to that bike. It's a rideable sculpture for me. Had one of the women at the flea market got a hold of it before me, it would be sitting in a flower garden right now, dying a rusty, neglected death. At least when I'm done with it, I'll be able to ride it and enjoy it. Nobody will have one that is exactly like it either! I'm sinking $80 into chroming the chainring and crank, $90 on paint, $85 on tires, and probably another 25 hours of labor -- it will be a cool ratrod when complete!

Back