RoadMaster - discussion

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
I know there has been quite a bit of discussion on reproduction Roadmasters as I've been surfing the net and it everywhere. I recently bought a bare bones 1947 Roadmaster that included mismatched wheels, standard forks, a very nice Brooks seat, original chain ring & crank and frame...not sure about the pedals stem, grips or bars or rear fender. Frame is in very good condition and overall I like the look. While I was going to add it to my to do list, I recently saw a reproduction Luxury Liner being parted out and decided to purchase the tank...I now have the chain guard and rear rack as well. This past weekend I stripped, cleaned and reassembled the bike with my new parts. The bike looks great, the tin doesn’t have that "cheap" thin feeling, paint looks good and the fit was great. The only issue I have is the nuts and bolts...they are new (DUH). I like the look and feel of original nuts & bolts.

Usually I'm an original parts guy, but honestly the prices were so good I thought what the heck. I'm so happy with the look, fit and feel that I'm going to go back and see if he will sell me the fenders. This will never be an original, however I will continue to look for parts until this is complete enough to call it a "Tribute" bike.

Not that anyone can be right or wrong, but as a general discussion, what are your thoughts about combining new and old?

BART

It's just like putting new wheels on a old car.

~Rafael~

Last edited:
I think there is room for both schools of thought. I really like when someone has a classic old frame and updates it with newer parts just as much as I like to see an all original bike. Ultimately it's up to the end user... Sure you can have a 100% original 1937 BlahBlahBlah... But if it's not comfortable or practical... Where's the fun in that? I think "most" of us, especially on the Rat Rod side of things are here cause we love BIKES. Making it personal, not cause we JUST want something to put in a museum!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ok, this is an "after" photo. Got the parts on Saturday AM and tried to store them with the bike and was going to add it to the to do list....just couldn't wait, had to see what the frame looked like with the new parts. Dragged out the bike and parts, gave the frame a good scrub (it was super greasy) and disassembled the crank to clean and regrease the bearing. Installed the tank and chain guard but the the rack had some interferance with the fender so it will have to wait.

Bart

20151207_165558.jpg

Think you already said it, since you're knowingly mixing new and old - having a shiny screw, nut and or bolt next to crusty parts.

Its all about the "Look" you want to have in the end. So keep going until you have the right parts to call it a tribute bike.

I know, we made a deal....who hoooo! Bri told me he was meeting you for the frame, I guess we just missed each other. That place is WILD! Funny how things go take off. I bought the bike mostly for the seat for my Roll fast Rat and now I'm on my way to the Road Master. I'm supposed to be working on my daughters 59 Columbia....

This is turning into a fun project. Gotta put it away for a bit and stay on track with the 59...daughters gotta come 1st

So, now that I'm not working on it, what should I be looking good for as far as rims and pedals? Rims are mismatched and the pedals seem to be a bit bent.

Bart

I was told that my 45 Roadmaster had Torrington "8" pedals (blackout version to match the DD hubs.)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8 " Torringtons eh? I can dig it! I took mine for a spin and either the pedal shaft or crank is bent so I'll have to find replacements...hope it's the pedals

I think you'd be silly not to grab as many of those repro parts as you can if they look and fit right.
I get it about restoring things to 100% original. I guess it depends on your intention with your bike. Even if you are a factory stock kind of guy, I'd rather see an old Roadmaster put back into its original complete glory than have it rot away or sit forever as an incomplete hulk, even if it has a few repro parts.
It's all a matter of degree. Do you need a tub of NOS 1947 grease for the bearings, or will some new stuff be OK?
I think if your bike is a real 1947 Roadmaster, it's not a "tribute" bike just because it's got a few repro parts on it.
If you sell it then its right to mention the parts, but other than that, fah-gettabout it!!

I think you'd be silly not to grab as many of those repro parts as you can if they look and fit right.
I get it about restoring things to 100% original. I guess it depends on your intention with your bike. Even if you are a factory stock kind of guy, I'd rather see an old Roadmaster put back into its original complete glory than have it rot away or sit forever as an incomplete hulk, even if it has a few repro parts.
It's all a matter of degree. Do you need a tub of NOS 1947 grease for the bearings, or will some new stuff be OK?
I think if your bike is a real 1947 Roadmaster, it's not a "tribute" bike just because it's got a few repro parts on it.
If you sell it then its right to mention the parts, but other than that, fah-gettabout it!!
I'm with you brother, thanks for your thougts....had no intentions of starting get a new project (certainly have plenty) but this one fell into my lap. In the same time frame that I purchased the bike a RRB member parted out a Reproduction Roadmaster. His prices were right so I initially purchased the tank, then asked about the guard, when I picked up the two components he had and offered the rack. After installing the new parts I asked about the fenders...lo and behold they were avalible and also priced right. I now have a super start and a fun bike that I can use as as spare (I mean, everyone needs a spare bike or 2....right)

Last edited:
Barto, the bike looks great. The new red over the old red somehow adds to the overall look in my opinion. I have one of the reproduction bikes, funny thing is, I would never part it out. I love the ride and don't have to worry about letting the kids ride it or wear and tear.

Hey Big Ape, as stated earlier, I'm an original part guy but in this case I'm pretty OK with the look so all is good for me...and I'm having fun putting it together...when done I suggested I would keep it as a spare but who knows....maybe possible trade material for a Zeppelin frame ☺ who hoooo! Yeah baby!

Mixing new and used parts--up to each individual but the end result is still a cool looking ride.

Just an odd little point... '55 Chevys like my own are worth MORE when well-built with modern parts than they are when 100% stock.
Really.
Same with lots of others.

Back