Road bike guys - Peugeot

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Anyone know road bikes? I picked one up for the forks and to cut up for a rat, but I'm thinking it may be too nice to cut up.

It is a Peugeot and is gray with stripes and a chrome fork. I know it's not much to go on but I can get a pic and the serial number tonight.

Rg

It really depends on the model. I'm not into French bikes myself, but the PX10's are very highly regarded and there are a few others that are well thought of as well. The biggest problem is that they used all kinds of non-standard threads, tube sizes and oddball connections.

Sheldon Brown wrote a bit about them.
http://sheldonbrown.com/velos.html

It really depends on the model. I'm not into French bikes myself, but the PX10's are very highly regarded and there are a few others that are well thought of as well. The biggest problem is that they used all kinds of non-standard threads, tube sizes and oddball connections.

Sheldon Brown wrote a bit about them.
http://sheldonbrown.com/velos.html
Thanks Bob, hopefully I can get the model number tonight. When I bought it I put it in with my other good stuff (junk according to my wife) but over the weekend I looked it over and it seems like a nice bike. I'd hate to cut it up if someone else is looking for one.

Rg

Those are typically nice old bikes and popular with hipsters and commuters.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Peugeots, like most of the big-name manufacturers active during the bike boom, made a wide range of bikes, from low-quality boat anchors to top-of-the-line racers and touring bikes. The uo-8 was their popular entry-level road bike; it weighed a ton and was the object of much snobbery, but uo-8's are loved to this day for their steadfast reliability and bulletproof nature. Different variations of each model existed, and the various numbers/letters will tell the astute Peugeot fanatic whether the bike was originally outfitted with fenders, dynamos, etc... By now, many have lost some accessories, and/or gained others, but it's cool to know how it was originally equipped.

French-made Peugeots-- basically, everything pre-1980 and many/most early-80s models, were all made to Froggish standards, and are not worthy as donor parts if they have anything threaded on them. In the 80s, Peugeot started offering bikes made in Japan and Canada; these will have more standard bits hung on them, and make better donor bikes.

Px-series bikes, and other higher end models, have some collector value. All of them have value to francophiles willing/eager to deal with obsolete French build standards. Whatever; you gotta make up your own mind about that, but unless you want to deal with French headparts in a non-french headtube, that fork won't be much good to you--unless it's Japanese- or Canadian-made. Here's a source for more/better info than what I can offer here:
http://retropeugeot.com/

What he said^^^. :cool: I own 2 Peugeots and am curious what it might be. If these stickers are on it, it's a really nice one.
french%201(2).jpg

The sticker on mine says super vitas 980, didn't get a chance to look at the paper tag but I'm thinking it is an 1984 psv10n because the seat tube adjustment is a set screw on a fluted seatpost. Has Stronglight crank and headtube. I'll try to get a pic tomorrow, stayed at granddads too late tonight.

Rg

Peugeots, like most of the big-name manufacturers active during the bike boom, made a wide range of bikes, from low-quality boat anchors to top-of-the-line racers and touring bikes. The uo-8 was their popular entry-level road bike; it weighed a ton and was the object of much snobbery, but uo-8's are loved to this day for their steadfast reliability and bulletproof nature. Different variations of each model existed, and the various numbers/letters will tell the astute Peugeot fanatic whether the bike was originally outfitted with fenders, dynamos, etc... By now, many have lost some accessories, and/or gained others, but it's cool to know how it was originally equipped.

French-made Peugeots-- basically, everything pre-1980 and many/most early-80s models, were all made to Froggish standards, and are not worthy as donor parts if they have anything threaded on them. In the 80s, Peugeot started offering bikes made in Japan and Canada; these will have more standard bits hung on them, and make better donor bikes.

Px-series bikes, and other higher end models, have some collector value. All of them have value to francophiles willing/eager to deal with obsolete French build standards. Whatever; you gotta make up your own mind about that, but unless you want to deal with French headparts in a non-french headtube, that fork won't be much good to you--unless it's Japanese- or Canadian-made. Here's a source for more/better info than what I can offer here:
That site confirms my thoughts of an 1984 psv10n. Thanks, Rg

Bicycle80elpost840581 said:

You are the most eloquent poster! "Froggy," is real nice compared to my thoughts of Pukigot bikes!

The sticker on mine says super vitas 980, didn't get a chance to look at the paper tag but I'm thinking it is an 1984 psv10n because the seat tube adjustment is a set screw on a fluted seatpost. Has Stronglight crank and headtube. I'll try to get a pic tomorrow, stayed at granddads too late tonight.

Rg

That's probably a very nice bike-- not top of the line, but not far from the top... And, no doubt, equipped with all of the most frustrating French goodies, like Helicomatic hubs/freewheel. If it's reasonably complete, it's a worthwhile "flip" candidate. I briefly owned a Pug with Vitus 980; it was very lightweight and the frame was both stiff and comfy, somehow. Ultimately, the hassle associated with mods and replacement parts led me to be rid of it... even the stem and handlebar diameter is built to the French standards. France produced some truly excellent bicycles, no question--- and I admire the philosophy that led to developing their own standards, but I don't have the time/patience for messing with them, in this day and age.

I miss the days when French cars were a common sight on American roads. Pugs, Renault Le Cars, and the even-stranger Citroens.... Unlike the cars, French bikes have some real staying power. I see dozens of old Peugeot road bikes each time I go to Phila.

CeeBee, don't worry about hijacking, some people get stupid about it but I love the normal progression of online conversations. I once had a conversation online that went from kentucky whiskey to roller skating in a grave yard and it all seemed natural to me...

+1.... Threads shift gears, and it's often good. When it's not good, it's usually easy enough to shift'm back. Personally, I think discussions about French autos is a good kind of derailment.

PS- It's pretty easy to see how a discussion can go from whiskey to graveyard rollerskating... pretty awesome, too.

Haha, I had a boss who had one. It was neat. Ahead of its time.

And what was the Chrysler that was built by Renault? The alliance?

Latest posts

Back