Rim painting/scratch prevention?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive been planning on stripping and repainting these old schwinn s7 rims only I just realized a little bit ago when taking off the old tires that whenever I do that again with the new paint, more than likely it's gonna scratch the heck out of them. What type of paint or techniques have any of you guys had luck with?

Paint the rims and let them dry for at least a week.

Pry the tires back on with your fingers.(you WILL feel PAIN)

If you have to resort to prying it back on and happen to nick the paint...

Spray some paint on a small paintbrush and cover it up.

Been there.

+1 on the week cure time. If you're really worried about fitting the tyres: protect the rim with a layer of cloth (you might call it gaffer?) tape.

MagicRat said:
Paint the rims and let them dry for at least a week.

Pry the tires back on with your fingers.(you WILL feel PAIN)

If you have to resort to prying it back on and happen to nick the paint...

Spray some paint on a small paintbrush and cover it up.

Been there.
A bit of talc rubbed onto the bead of the tire will lubricate it a bit; making the ache of fingers/hands a little less...

Use the blue 'painters tape' where you have to use the plastic tire 'irons' to flip the bead, it is made to pull off without removing paint or leaving a residue and you can layer it up for cushion. As said, go as far as possible by hand.

I had freshened up a set of Tuff II Mags, and I had good luck with just my fingers and a plastic pry bar I got in this tool set
4505.jpg

I know the lips on the mags aren't as sharp as on steel rims, but I painted the entire lip, and they didn't even scuff
223652_2330750708176_1232003405_32870993_93807_n.jpg

big bondo spreader against new paint n painters tape but i stick it to my shirt to take away some of the tack and allways good prep job so it has good adhesion :)

Back