Riding with a laid-back seatpost

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just finished my first build and went riding yesterday. Man, what a great way to spend an afternoon! The bike and I are well suited to each other: we're both old, heavy, and slow.

I've used the stock seatpost. When I extend it about as far as it will go it makes for a fairly comfortable ride. It also gets me good leg extension, which I really need if I'm going to ride for more than 30 minutes. However, it just doesn't look all that cool.

My question: Does a laid back seatpost give the rider enough distance from the pedals to make for easy pedalling? I know my bike would look better with one of those, rather than with the stock post jacked up in the Lance Armstrong position.

did you mean like this? this is my murray skyrider that my friend built and he bent this one back so it felt comfy with the apes...
0301111610.jpg

I find the laid back post gives you a bit more leg room, and allows you to lower the post height some (depending on how far back it places your seat, of course). Mine goes pretty far back, I love it.

The riding expierence will also change for sure. You may find it necessary to mess with your handlebars to 'adjust' how you lean over the bike, etc. Plus, your legs may feel different after long rides because the angle of peddling will change.

Just a few things Ive noticed. I love my laid-back :mrgreen:

Back