Riding in from Charlotte, NC.......

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been reading the forums for 2 years but only recently created an account. Always liked the styling to vintage/classic bikes from the ’60 and ’70’s but never considered a purchase. Randomly, by chance, 2 years ago came across a unique bike at a flea market in western NC. Seller described it as a Swing Bike. I had never heard of nor seen such a thing but I was immediately intrigued. I even liked the color. Orange always being my favorite color. Purchased the bike and broke it down into a few smaller pieces to fit within my car for the drive back to Charlotte.

As found:

I only had intention to mechanically rebuild the bike and retain the natural petina of the years. Browsing the net and finding beautiful examples, along with learning much more about the Swing Bike, I rushed in headlong with a full on restoration. Many original parts were missing from the bike along with other parts being incorrect. I located many items that “looked” correct in order to build a full-on rider. It’s not a museum, numbers-matching rebuild with original Swing Bike parts but it certainly, to me, looks the part. Had the frame powder coated “International Orange”, as in the trucking company. International Orange was a direct match to the original orange. Had several unique parts re-chromed; Swing Bike utilizes unique sissy bar, handle bar profile and goose neck.

Restored:

Learning to ride her was like learning to ride a bike all over again. Once getting the hang of it she has been a helluva lotta fun to swing thru the city.

Since the Swing Bike, I have also purchased and refreshed a 1969 AMF Roadmaster Flying Wedge, 20x20 single speed.

Have another 1969 AMF Roadmaster Flying Wedge to refurbish/rebuild; this example being a 16x20, 5 speed with metallic green/red fade paint. Love the NASA inspired styling of these Flying Wedge bikes. They came straight from the pages of the Apollo mission.

As found:

Refreshed:

Latest project will be a rusty 1950 JC Higgins Colorflow ladies that I found on local CL. Purchased to build for my girlfriend. She loves Art Deco so this bike will be right in her style.

As found:

Looking forward to more knowledge and sharing great bikes!

Scott

Last edited:
Welcome aboard
I use to live in western nc, the flea market building in the first pic looks familiar.

You've got a good collection starting, and a lot of good info here.

Back