Ride Defensively

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is an email I just recieved from my buddy Damian. I posted pics in "other bikes" a day or two ago of his orange Western Flyer. He has a Pennyfarther also (new one).

Anyway, this story made me think about being careful just as my riding has become a little more reckless lately. Watch yourselves out there. Don't want to hear about anybody getting creamed.

A local homeless dude in KC was killed last month on his trike, riding it at night, a car ran right into him and killed him.

Copied from Damian:

I was driving in bumper to bumper traffic on North Oak last night, going to get groceries, and saw a guy on a bicycle get hit by a truck.
it was really f***ed up. I'd seen the guy when I was pulling out of our street onto North Oak, and I thought, 'right on bike-rider. good for you'.
looked like a business man who had gotten off of work. fit, skinny, older guy, had a helmet on, had a briefcase and a backpack on his back.

i was sitting in traffic, just down the street a ways, traffic wasn't moving going north. a truck going south turned left into a parking lot, creamed the guy on the bike.
I saw it happen, saw the guy fly off. I had my window down, heard the horrible screeeeeech and crunch.
since the traffic wasn't moving, I just sat there in shock as the truck driver leaped out of the truck, ran over to the guy, luckily several people got out of their cars, calling on their cellphones.
looked like the guy was OK. he was sitting up, his face was all bloody, arms all bloody, but he was alive. he was sitting up, so at least his neck/back/ limbs weren't broken.

i really applaud the truck driver, it wasn't his fault...he couldn't see the biker, but that guy leaped out of his truck, left it in front of the line of traffic going north. some people started honking and trying to pull around him, and I wanted to get out and beat them with a bat....a guy got hit by a f***ing truck, you can sit in your car for a few more seconds while they make sure he isn't dead.

Sad...but true.....people really don't watch...or care to watch much anymore for motorcyclists,bicyclists, or pedestrians.

Some people are just in such a hurry (and yes, I'm a FAST driver..but ALWAYS am constantly watching my mirrors and very alert) and don't care about being courteous.

I'm hoping that I'll have my Sears Spyder done by the 4th of July....I am planning on loading up my WCC bike and my Sears and going riding with my wife that morning if possible. We'll be going to an area to ride that is full of miles of sidewalks. I wish I could ride in town....but I know it's just not safe.

Thats a good idea. The edea of what those bikes stand for really sticks in your head. Every city should do that. I feel sorry for the famalies that lost loved ones though, especially for such a stupid reason. I love bikes, but cant say I would want to go out on one.

Yeah people dont care about bikers round here neither, I hate it when people
stop in the middle of the cross walk, Ive got in screaming matches with some people. And up north theres no sidewalk and people dont move over an inch and just fly right by u it makes me sick. Ive never gotten hit lucky for me! I ride like a flipping idiot, I hit a couple of parked cars but ive lucked out and not got hit by any moving ones.. This opend my eyes im gonna slow down a little bit on my bike

It happens so fast too...I have been hit once and run off the road once in my last 2 years of biking.

When I was hit, a new driver (night time) turned right from across 3 lanes right into me. I was very lucky, and didn't get injured, but it could have easily been bad. Basically, I went over the hood, and the bike went under the car...I miss that bike :(

Be carefull...pay attention to everything around you...YOU ARE THE ONLY ONE WATCHING!!!

5 days a week I ride about 40 kms during both rush hours....junk like that happens when everyone is in a hurry.

Just need to pay extra attention.

This thread is just a reminder that you need to ride, and drive defensively at all times, and also to remember that the rules of the road and the right of way, etc.. apply to bikes too, Driving here in Minneapolis everyday, I can not believe some of the ridiculous things BIKE RIDERS do in traffic, like they are above the law and the rules of the road don't apply to them.... The other thing to keep in mind when riding is, just because you have the right of way, or are riding legally, doesn't mean you are safe and people can see you or will yield to you... Always ride defensively, like you are INVISIBLE....

When I ride my bike I see stupit drivers, When I drive my truck I see stupit bicyclers. I watch myself all the time and look out for the others.
We have ghost bikes here in KC for people of all ages in all parts of town, and still we have people that don't know why these bikes are there. We all need a new way to educate the driving public on bicycle and peddstrian laws. Drivers Ed 101 don't do it.

dos cruiser said:
When I ride my bike I see stupit drivers, When I drive my truck I see stupit bicyclers. I watch myself all the time and look out for the others.
We have ghost bikes here in KC for people of all ages in all parts of town, and still we have people that don't know why these bikes are there. We all need a new way to educate the driving public on bicycle and peddstrian laws. Drivers Ed 101 don't do it.

I agree with what u say, But i just got done with drivers training and had 2 take a test on bike and ped rules.. Idk but i passed both with 100%. Yeah i see stupid kids on bikes and stupid people on cars, Till i took drivers training, I NEVER REALIZE HOW MANY PEOPLE ROLL THROUGH STOP SIGNS! IT AGREVATES ME!!

Good point! I have a stop sign in front of my house and a very bizzy cross street, used primerily by bikes and peds (walkers, runners and poeple pushing strollers). about 3/4 of all cars roll throu this sign, and most of them live in my hood. Most with a phone in hand. We also have a 10 mile trail (round trip) just two blocks away that trial poeple don't take very good care of. They won't even return my calls. What can a person do but watch out for yourself. Ride safe-ride often- have fun.

Good point! I have a stop sign in front of my house and a very bizzy cross street, used primerily by bikes and peds (walkers, runners and poeple pushing strollers). about 3/4 of all cars roll throu this sign, and most of them live in my hood. Most with a phone in hand. We also have a 10 mile trail (round trip) just two blocks away that trial poeple don't take very good care of. They won't even return my calls. What can a person do but watch out for yourself. Ride safe-ride often- have fun.

If i see sum1 on a phone, I scream GET OFF THE PHONE AND DRIVE! Or when people honk at me for riding next 2 the curb or, I scream, THE HORN blows HOW BOUT THE Driver.. I need 2 watch my mouth 1 of these days some1 gonna get out there car and kick my ash.

ricsterr, When you are riding your bike with in the law and someone honks at you , just wave and say thinks for noticing my awsome bike and all of my hard work, Have a great day!! I always try to invite people to any of the puble bicycle stuff that maybe going on in our area, swapmeet, shows, rodeos or anything and thay have thier kids with them invite the kids. Hay kid do you like bicycles (yes) have your pare nts bring youto our event then tell the parents the place and time, If the kid want to go they bug the mom and dad to death. Bike ed throu the kid, it's a start.

Back