Retro Ryder Headset- 1 1/8" Steerer in 1" Headsets

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All,

I have been working on collecting parts for a Klunker build based on a 1941 Schwinn DX frame and have been agonizing over my fork choice. I really want a suspension fork but it's slim picking for well-built vintage MTB forks with a 1" steerer tube that will fit in a standard sized headset for the pre-war Schwinn. Short of some serious reaming of the headtube or some delicate grinding to the inside of the headtube races, there's not much option for fitting the newer 1 and 1/8" size steerer tube in the old frames.

BUT

I just stumbled upon this offering from a frame builder/machining company out of California that looks promising. The website was entertaining and they have some great pictures and info but I was wondering if anyone here has used their Retro Ryder Headset - Any reviews? I want this to be the super-product that I think it might be but this site has never steered me wrong in the past so let's hear it.

With this headset, you can run an 1 1/8 NON-Tapered fork in an older bike that normally takes a American Standard 1" threaded headset (32mm). Fits old Schwinns and other American cruiser bikes, some bmx bikes and some older mountain bikes. This means it won't fit everything, you'll have to measure the inside diameter of your head tube to see if it will work. 32.0 mm or 30.2 should be fine, this headset not being all things to all people, I made it for old Schwinn bikes foremost in my mind, early mountain bikes usually take the Japanese standard of 27mm, later ones are often 1 1/4 or 1 1/8 threaded which this headset will not work for, 1" only.. Ask questions if you're unsure, there are no stupid questions with this thing. Be sure. Made in the USA, 45.00 shipped. Made out of steel, not for weight weenines. Look at the pics, I have several pics with a digital caliper so you can be sure it will meet your needs (or not).

http://www.flickr.com//photos/17534977@N00/sets/72157628195500205/show/
*If this link doesn't work just navigate to their page as linked-to above for the same photo set*

At the very least, maybe this will help someone else out that's been searching endlessly across the interwebs for a headset that will fit pre-war bikes and allow forks with 1 1/8" steer tubes. Then they can buy one and review it for me :mrgreen:

Sounds like a great option. I have switched a number of 1" fork frames out to 1-1/8" but I have reamed out the heatube to fit the 1-1/8" headsets. I only do it if the headtube has enough wall thickness to support it. This looks like a nice option. If you opt to do it let us know how it works out.

Back