Retro Racer

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We are not worthy! We are not worthy!
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Seriously, That is one amazing build and thanks again for the terrific documentation! :D

Thank you so much all of you! :D

deorman said:
What's next, lathing hubs and drawing spokes? :eek: :shock:
Hm...wait a minute, you just gave me a great idea!! :lol:

Glad you like the documentation! I figured that if I showed as much as I could of what I was doing, you guys could get ideas and inspiration from the things that turn out well and give me advise and suggestions on the things that there's a better way of doing. Trying to do something that might be good and fun for both me and you people...and then we can live in peace and harmony and listen to the birds singing... :lol:

I've taken some more photos of the bike today, I'll post them in the gallery section soon.

Oh, and you're worthy! :wink:

First of all I want to tell you what I don't like about your bike. Here goes (_________ ______ ______ ________). Now what I do like about it. EVERYTHING. You have a lot of talent, build great looking bikes, can do anything you set your mind too, and you just blew all my dreams out the window. Now I was just being honest but if your head size just expanded to the point of not being able to get through the door, I don't feel sorry for you a bit. Because I think you are probably able to also put in a larger door.
I'm just having fun but all in all you just did a fabulous jod on that bike. Looks great.

Actually I've fabricated a tiny little valve that goes in the back of my head to let out excess hot air to prevent unvoluntary spacetravel! :lol:

Thank you rgallen!!

DUDE! That bike is sic!! The red paint on the top of the frame to suggest a tank...WOAH! I hope you had a great May Day!! With all the work you've put in, you deserve it!!

Thanks bikeriderx! Yeah I'm really happy with how the paint turned out, and I'm glad you like it too! :D The red paint and the shape of the top tubes and the two plates on the sides almost trick the eyes to see a continued curved shape in thin air. One of those things that I wasn't sure how it was going to turn out, but it turned out better than I hoped for! Just love it when that happens! :D

Thank you Gold Street, I really appreciate it!

Thanks guys!! :D Glad to hear you like it! There are more photos of the finished bike in the gallery section if you want to check them out...

Thanks! The paint was a lucky shot! Had an idea, didn't know if it would work but in the end it came ot better than I'd expected. :)

I missed this build, just found this post thanks to the J.B. 40 post and I must say that this bike is a work of art, just like the one you are building to your brother.
Your level of craftsmanship keeps amazing me.
Congrats!

P.s. How do I find your previous build? I would really like to see that one too. :wink:

the fork is just sick talk about a triple tree!!! i really like your mix of cruiser with the more narrow tires and how well finished your bikes are. very nice attention to detail

Thanks guys! :D
I like not-so-fat tires. Well, I like the look of fat tires on some bikes, but where I live it's hilly and fat tires takes more input of energy to move around, and I like the least effort for the most speed! :wink: Sometimes, depending on how you design the rest of the bike you can achieve a sort of vintage look to it (really old racing motorcycles had kind of narrow tires compared to nowadays), and if you design the frame to be in balance visually with the tires, I think they look good too!

Re: Retro Racer "do it again, do it right!"

Thankfully the guy who comissioned me to build this bike hasn't picked it up yet (due to his workload and bad weather) cause I've been looking at it since I finished it and the fork has bugged me. Then when I finished the J.B.40 and took it for a ride and felt the difference in handling I decided to do something about it. That something was to modify the fork.
So today I've done this: :)

The fork before the modification.
gaffelmod1.jpg

Cut the trusses.
gaffelmod2.jpg

Marks to go by when I bend.
gaffelmod3.jpg

Bent!
gaffelmod4.jpg

Made plugs from threaded rod to reinforce the welds.
gaffelmod5.jpg

Welded!
gaffelmod6.jpg

I masked off the red scallops and primed, painted and clearcoated it.
gaffelmod7.jpg

Here it is reassembled! :D
frdiggaffelmod1.jpg

frdiggaffelmod2.jpg

frdiggaffelmod3.jpg

I'm really pleased with the result! Took it for a ride, before it rode ok but now it rides awesome! It's a fast bike! :D And not only does it perform and handle better now, I think the look of the bike improved as well. Changed the stance a little, made it look more streamlined. :)

Thanks to ChopperOllie and joscatratrod who pointed it out and helped me learn about trail!

Back