restoring a custom chopper

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
picked this chopper up a few weeks back. the back rim was bent and the forks also were bent. even though the forks and rim were bent, still rode great. i basically traded a nice old school style skateboard for it. i really got it just to flip. but then i got it dialed in enough to put a few miles on it. well after riding it, i fell in love. this was a very cool bike at one point. but with things bent, i took it apart to see if the frame was bent as well. lucky for me it wasn't. the front of the frame is primer and makes me think the head tube broke off at one point. if it was fixed, looks like it was fixed right. when i had it apart checking it over, i found the signature of the painter. it was scratched on the name. only had part of the last name and a town to go off of. but found the guy. turns out he built and painted it himself. he is an awesome lead sled and hot rod painter. the story goes, he was riding it in San Diego CA (were he lives). some guy chased him down and begged him to sell it. the guy made him an offer he couldn't refuse. fast forward 10 years, it was 80 miles north and trashed. so now it is mine. first thing is a rear fender. took a front fender from a low end Walmart Dyno knock off, and it really fit very well into place. don't know if i end up using it. i going to use my nexus 7 speed with suicide shifter on this build. its in a 26 hoop right now but might have it laced to a 24x57mm hoop. i have a nice triple tree fork for it but the legs are too short. bicycle designer are sold out of the replacement long fork legs, and the whole front end is a little out of my budget right now. so for the time being i'm going to reuse the bent forks. future plans are replacing the forks, 29" front wheel and maybe 24 rear. 3 piece cranks, web gusset z bars and some kind solo bobber seat. also this chopper started life out as a mountain bike and a Kawasaki gas tank. last 4 pics are from when it was first done many years ago
01.jpg
03.jpg
05.jpg
07.jpg
08.jpg
09.jpg
012.jpg
013.jpg
010.jpg
011.jpg

Latest posts

Back