Request some Schooling on Vintage Weinmann/Schwinn facts

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been all over the Internet looking for info on middleweight Weinmann Schwinn facts and figures. Can't seem to find much.

Does anyone have any good info on this stuff? I'm really interested in what my bike came with, but also what cable colors, gauge size, part # etc etc were considered "the standard" for different vintage Schwinns.

Weinmann red dot brake levers seem to be on some bikes, but not others.

Any ideas on the sizes or parts #s for various vintages?

This may help
1959_03.JPG

Notice the front rim of that Jag is spoked wrong.

The valve stem should be 2 spokes over to the left or right.

Compare it to the rear.

Yes I am a wheel builder.

MagicRat said:
Notice the front rim of that Jag is spoked wrong.

The valve stem should be 2 spokes over to the left or right.

Compare it to the rear.

Yes I am a wheel builder.

Is this because they started their spoke layout/install at the spoke hole immediately to the left or right of the valve stem hole????
I learned by starting the spoke layout that way and every wheel I build has the valve stem pinched in that tight gap/sharp angle of spokes. It seems wrong to me and I want to improve that element of my wheel builds.

Its because that front wheel builder didnt know or care.

I always start at the valve hole.

The rim may have offset spoke holes.Orient your initial spokes in that direction.

Twist the hub in that direction then flip it over and lace the second initial spoke next to the valve hole.

This is the hardest part for me...you have 2 choices to get that spoke correctly in the hub.(it falls directly between 2 holes)

Wheel building is FUN!

I wasnt born with this talent (heh)...I've made up curse words rebuilding the same rim 3 or 4 times until it was right.

...Oh yeah...spoke head in or out? Cross 1 2 3 or 4? And wheel Truing...FUN!

Lemme know if I can help ya out.

Back