Repairing an ovalized headtube help!!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I picked up a Huffy muscle bike from one of the members here.
I could tell in the pics that the fork was bent a little, I wasn't worried because that's an easy fix.
But the head tube is ovalized from the impact that bent the fork.

The top side is just a little out of round. So I found a socket that fits and ill just tap it back into shape.
The bottom side is really bad. Probably out about 1/8th of an inch or more. The metal looks stretched toward the downtube.
The rest of the frame is cherry with no issues.

What Should my plan of attack ??

Any ideas or tips would be greatly appreciated
I will try to get some photos posted when I have better light
Jason

we used to fix seat stays with a pipe cutter , just take the cutting wheel off and put a skate board bearing on instead and roll it back into shape...

Is the downtube distorted in any way? Like a wrinkle or crease? That means you could have a frame failure down the road.

scrumblero said:
we used to fix seat stays with a pipe cutter , just take the cutting wheel off and put a skate board bearing on instead and roll it back into shape...

Ingenious idea. I would have never thought of that.

Gotta agree with C.

If that bike took a front end BLAST that Hard...

The head tube could be off by a coupla too many degrees.

IF that headtube is indeed bent backwards...There is a way to force it back with a Bumper Jack.(I made a rhyme!)

I've never had to do it,but there are guys on here who have done it.Usually for forks.

Back