repainting rims

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

the wheels on my electra rat rod aren't looking good. lots of flakey red paint and the caliper brake has worn a silver strip on the front wheel.

any advice on how to repaint,what pant to use and how to stop it happening again?

cheers
Hovis

For a regular rider I prefer my rims to be powder coated rather than painted. Saving the custom paint for a high end restoration. This will required a complete rebuild of the wheel. Maybe new spokes depending on their condition. Add a bit of class and have the wheels pinstriped.

I agree with Curtis that powder coating is the way to go, however if your budget doesn't allow that, try the 'How-To Manual' section of the forum for methods (there's more than one way to skin that cat).

http://ratrodbikes.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=249687#p249689

The Electra Rat Rods came with dark red rims, right? Are you looking to use a similar color?

I did a quick search on Krylon's website and they have a BBQ & Stove paint that looks promising.
http://www.krylon.com/products/bbq_stove_paints/

144-32-32.gif

Now, I've never used it nor do I do know where to get it, but I've heard that this type of rattlecan paint is pretty durable.

Good luck and post some pics of your progress!

Cheers,
Dr. T

My front rim is like that from break wear and the rear is all flakey. What paint did you use?

I just scuffed those new hoops on the center with a Scotch Bright pad.

Then i had at it with no primer.

I've repainted dozens of rims in the last few years, and I've found that unlacing them works the best.... rather than trying to mask the spokes. It's actually easier to unlace them if you know how. I use masking tape to hold the spokes in the correct pattern, and then remove the nipples...... then after I paint the rims, it''s easy to put it all back together.

For paint, I like to use an etch primer (phosphoric acid) first, and then Rustoleum Industrial grade paint. It works like a charm. The key is the etch primer. It bites into the metal so the paint will stick better.

so i've sanned down all the flakey pain various dings etc. am planning to give them a coat of primer, them a couple of coats of cherry red.... the other reds available were cardinal or crimson red.. the only spray paint i could get was glossy and bought a clear coat as well. I've picked up glossy but think i know should have picked up matte..

what do you think? any tips about spraying the rims?

It's a good idea to use the same paint manufacturer for the primer, paint and clear coat....I've had problems mixing different manufacturers.

luckily they were all on 3 for 2 so got them all from the same manufacturer... have primed them and the first coat of red is on.... they ar looking good but the weather turned so just drying in the shed. they'll look better and fresher for sure but the finish might not be great as was a bit rushed with the weather and child care.

Latest posts

Back