Removing Tape Residue

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just picked up a bike that is in great shape but the teenage owner wrapper several frame parts with camo duct tape. Musta been a stupid kid thing. Well i can get most of the tape off but the old hardened glue stuff stays. Somebody told me Home Depot sells something called Goo Gone that will take it off without harming the paint. Has anyone used it or have any other recommendations?

WD40 works sometimes, but I use lighter fluid. It's great for removing most adhesives & won't harm paint.

I have used Goo Gone but it can have unexpected bad results on plastics. Also requires a lot of soaking and rubbing. I have a mix of 70% Isopropyl Alcohol and Witch Hazel that works better. I would keep that away from plastic also,and soak with vegetable oil ,then wash with detergent.

The best is wax&grease remover,but that is hard to find these days. It the industrial version of goof off. That'll work.
also use a heat gun. If ya ain't got one swipe Yer mom or girlfriends!
The Their and alcohol will clean it up

iment swipe they're hairdryer :lol:

I buy the spray on Goo Gone, it's a gel and stays on the sticky parts, let it sit, still requires a lot of elbow grease, but has never hurt paint, just requires a good polishing after. Goof Off is different and has seriously damaged paint on a new bike I have.

Heat gun works great, just don't scorch the paint.

CRASH said:
Lighter fluid. It doesn't have the regulations that other stuff has.

Cool, but don't be fooled by the good citrus smell of Goo Gone, that is some of the most flammable stuff! It's wild.

I use a product called Un-Du. Used to find it at WalMart, but lately I have had to buy it online. Works great, but it is more expensive than the other products. What I like about it is that you can remove price stickers from book covers or other paper products with good results. Some garage sale people have no clue when putting price stickers on stuff.

Depending on what the surface the residue is on I usually go with Goo Gone or lighter fluid. If its really nasty and I'm feeling lucky I'll use Goof Off. Best to be very cautious with Goof Off, use a little at a time and pay attention to what you're doing!

Just wasted 5.00 on a bottle of Goo Gone at Wally. This stuff wouldnt taKE A band aid off. Its nothing but orange flavored mineral spirits. Taking it back and getting the lighter fluid.

wheelhorseman said:
Just wasted 5.00 on a bottle of Goo Gone at Wally. This stuff wouldnt taKE A band aid off. Its nothing but orange flavored mineral spirits. Taking it back and getting the lighter fluid.

Sorry you didn't like it, it's one of my "go to" products, the key is letting it sit, and using a clean rag and make sure you turn over the rag ever now and then to wipe with a fresh spot. The sticky residue seems to clog up rags and paper towels, so starting at a fresh place removes more residue.

Heres what i am dealing with. See how the idiot kid wrapped the frame with camo tape? The forks are wrapped too. That old gluey stuff is stuck on and hard as a brick. Only the outer layer of tape will come off and even it crumbles.

za33-1.jpg

Heat gun time! Heat it up, then use a plastic putty knife or similar item to scrape it off. Then use lighter fluid after it has cooled to remove the adhesive residue. DO NOT use both at the same time! Good luck! This has been a learning experience for all of us!

beatcad said:
The best is wax&grease remover,but that is hard to find these days. It the industrial version of goof off. That'll work.
also use a heat gun. If ya ain't got one swipe Yer mom or girlfriends!
The Their and alcohol will clean it up

iment swipe they're hairdryer :lol:

Most Auto Parts stores carry a cheap version, if not there, any Auto Body supplier will be able to get you a PPG, Dupont, Sherwin, etc. version for a few more green ones

Back