removing spray paint over original paint?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
I purchased a 68 stingray original Coppertone but someone spray painted it blue. Has anyone successfully removed new paint without damaging the original? If so how? Any information is highly appreciated.

I have done this by scrubbing with a green scotchbrite pad or steel wool dipped in lacquer thinner. Others claim success with oven cleaner. You might find that you can save the original base color but obliterate any striping and lettering.

You might try carefully scraping it off followed by compound and wax. I did that on a bike with dark green brushed on paint and it worked, but I did go too deep in places and also it took forever. The original paint had scratches and scrapes already, so the few that I added didn't matter.
Here's how it turned out...
100_4578_zpsafbff888.jpg

Whatever you decide to do, test it in an inconspicuous place first.

Start with something less aggressive, and slowly escalate to more aggressive as your experience dictates.
Ive had some water based paints come off with hot soapy water and ScotchBrite, and basic spray paint with 0000 steel wool and laquer thinner (rub lightly, let the solvent do the work, and have a wipe rag in the other hand). BTW, wear rubber gloves!

Used the scotchbrite and lacquer thinner. Worked well but bad news who ever the painter was sanded down to silver and primer in alt of spots. Won't be able to save the original paint. What a shame! Thanks for all the advice I really appreciated it guys

Man that is a bummer, been thru it with a few schwinn. Wait till you price schwinn paint!
Why people must paint old bikes is beyond me. They don't spraybomb their cars or house, what'd the bike do wrong?

Back