Removing overspray

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JTM

Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was painting a wheelset and while painting the rims I got some overspray on the hubs, which I obviously didn't mask (learned my lesson). Is there a way to get the overspray off with minimal damage to the hub's finish, which were painted the other day?

~j

some rubbing compound med. cut should do it. with overspray removal you risk damage to whats under it. so tread lightly but you should be able to do it. it's like waxing a car

what is the hubs finish??

Rattle can - 3 coats primer, 5 coats matte black. The overspray is satin maroon.

Thanks for the rec. I'll give it a try. If it scuffs up the hub's finish I will just remask the rim and lay down a couple of light coats of the black.

~j

if the hub is matte you could use acetone and a rag. it should wipe off.
didn't want to tell you that till i found out if it was metal or painted.

when you do this to gloss paint it will make the finish matte looking.
then you would buff it back shiny but if done by hand you'll be there for a while doing so.

Thanks - we have acetone at work so I will go that route first. Like I said, if it messes it up I will just remask the rim and give the hub a quick coat but it would be nice to avoid the extra work. Masking the rim was a big enough pain in the butt the first time!

~j

Back