Removing head badges?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Doing a restore for my wife (1960 Columbia step thru). The head badge has the rivet type that u can't un screw. What is best way to remove with out damaging the badge. That raises another question. When re-installing how do u put it back on??? Im a noob! Any suggestions??? Please help.

IMG_0997.jpg

need to get this done so i can get back to my other projects... Although i really like this frame its got double top step thru bars that continue threw the center post && i can fit a gas tank i got off a JC Higgins so. this will be fun.

i always use a boxed end wrench, the smaller the size the better but the longer it is the better. put the side of the boxed end against the back side of the "rivet" from the inside of the steering tube. push the part of the wrench sticking out against the rear part of the steering tube. it should "pop" out completely or enough to grab it from the front with a pair of pliers.

Along the same lines as what CCR said, a right angle screwdriver is my new friend. It helps because it has the fine tip to act as a punch. Place one tip on the inside of the rivet, and tap the end that protrudes with a hammer. Good luck!

P340.jpg

Thank you Both! I didn't even consider that option. I'm glad i asked the question on this forum before i took a dremmel to it!
Thanks again!!!

i take the cups out and use a 1'' seat post and push against the rivits , when they stick out the front on the headtube i grab them with mini vice grips andpull them out! to install i use a small flat punch and gently tap them back in ! :D

Latest posts

Back