Removing a stuck fork?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
So a couple of weeks ago I started working on my first project- a 1964 Schwinn Typhoon. I sanded it down, primed it, painted it and spent quite a bit of money in doing so. I'm probably $170 and originally figured I could possibly sell it for $200-$250. So after the paint was finished drying, I was really excited to put it together. Mind you, I am no bike expert (yet) as this is my first project, and in the rush I accidentally (I'm not normally this stupid) put the front fork on the frame without even putting in the bearings. After going through the effort of holding the fork with my left hand and knee and twisting the annoying disc (the one with textured sides that holds the fork in from the top- why can't it just be a nut?) with the vice grips, I realized my stupid mistake and tried to fix it.

However, the fork will not come out the vice grips nearly slip off the thing metal disc because it is stuck on there so well. I almost hurt my hand from trying so hard to unthread the fork from the metal disc.

On Friday the plumbers came to my house to fix something and I asked my mom if she could ask them to try and unscrew the fork while I was at school. They couldn't even get it but said I should soak it in WD40 which I may try if it will help. What can I do? I know I have money into it but at least the tires and seat can be put to use on another bike and I guess Instill have some parts. I really don't want to be out that much $$$ especially as I thought this could be a hobby to bring in some extra money and have some fun. Even more than the money though, I'd hate to let all my effort in sanding and painting, etc go to waste ( spent about a week sanding and painting)

Any and all help is greatly appreciated!

sounds like you cross threaded the nut they usually spin right down. you can cut the nut with a dremel maybe...

I guess that makes sense. What is the name of that disc shaped nut with the texture on the side? Is that what you mean I should cut through?

Try flipping the bike upside down and putting the knurled disc in a vise. Then put a 3 ft or so 2x4 diagonally thru the forks all the way down on the head tube. The leverage works great to break even the rustiest nuts loose too. Careful... leverage near the wheel end of the forks could bend the forks. Good luck!

mitchelangelo said:
Try flipping the bike upside down and putting the knurled disc in a vise. Then put a 3 ft or so 2x4 diagonally thru the forks all the way down on the head tube. The leverage works great to break even the rustiest nuts loose too. Careful... leverage near the wheel end of the forks could bend the forks. Good luck!

This sounds great! I don't even have the tools to cut through the disc, so this is my only hope. I'll try it when I have more time this weekend. Otherwise, I'll sell everything for parts, take a small loss, and start over (only I'll be more careful) :)

Back