Removing 3 piece crank arms

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do I get a 3 piece crank arms off / Got the nuts off but what now ?

Re: Removing 3 piece BB ?

You'll need the proper Park tools to do it. There's videos on Youtube on how to.

Are you just removing the crank arms? Or the BB? I removed a 3pc crank arms last week, remove the nuts, from the underside of the arm tap it with a rubber mallet. Worked great for me. Dont forget to PB blast it good!

Park pullers are so expensive. If you want my 2 cents, get on Nashbar and buy the cheapest one you can. I did that several years ago and have used my cheapies countless times without problems. Do Not pound on them! :wink:

Assuming that you're dealing with the typical square-shank bottom bracket, then go with the Park tool puller. There are two versions, one with a handle, one that uses an open end wrench to hold. I have the latter. However, it occurs to me that the original post might also apply to a 3-piece crank with cotters, I have several old bikes that have that style of crank. If you're dealing with cottered cranks, after you take the nuts off, you'll need to either drive them out with a hammer or use a cotter press. Park hasn't made a cotter press in a long time, but I think there might still be some out there.

scrumblero said:
the park one is only a dollar more than the nashbar one.. :roll:

and I've been using my Park version since 1985. Good quality.

don't pound on the crank arms with a hammer or rubber mallet

you can damage them doing that

crank arm pulling tools work great but you should use some PB Blaster in case they are stuck so you don't strip out the threads

another way you can loosen the crank arms is after you've removed the nuts or bolts take the bike for a ride and they often will come loose as you pedal

old_skool said:
don't pound on the crank arms with a hammer or rubber mallet

you can damage them doing that

I've done that. The tool will just pull all the threads straight out of poorer quality cranks sometimes.

old_skool said:
another way you can loosen the crank arms is after you've removed the nuts or bolts take the bike for a ride and they often will come loose as you pedal

That can cause permanent damage.

FWIW, if you are using a puller and they are on just too tight and you dont really want to crank any more pressure, walk away and leave it with whatever pressure you already have on them.Let it sit and 'get the parts in the mood'. Come back later, maybe even the next day and put some 'backpressure' on the arm, maybe a length of 2 x 4 or whatever, and turn in a little more on the puller, it should pop loose.
Ive come back the next day and found and assembly had popped in my absence; way cool magic.

Back