"Red Rodster" - Never Done - New Pics 4/14

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think a lot of people here can attest that you never seem to finish a project, particularly if you plan to keep it around a while. This one is no exception.

When I "finished" it back in February, I pretty much immediately knew I needed to do something about the grips. They looked great, but they were too small in diameter to comfortably hold. This was an easy fix by wrapping another layer of the same leather I used on the original grips. Nice thing is that it comes in two sizes, the larger of which fit perfect over the bottom layer. I had to wait for Velo Orange to get them back in stock which took over a month. They look the exact same, except fatter:

The other issue with the bike was the gearing. It was just too stinkin' hard to pedal, so I pretty much had to run around in the low gear all the time. That big chainring looks awesome, but it just wasn't going to work for me. I found an old crankset at a swap meet, but little did I know that it used an odd-ball chainring bolt circle, so I wasn't going to be able to find a chainguard for it. Rather than buy another crankset and then have to buy a chain guard, I found this nifty polished aluminum chainguard at Velo Orange which looks cool:

Another thing I wanted was a set of short fenders like I have seen on English Clubman and Path Racer bikes from the 40s-60s, but didn't know where to find any. Luckily, I had a set of Velo Orange (wow, I have a lot of their stuff) full length aluminum fenders that I just removed from a bike I got rid of. I didn't have anything else I could use them on, so I decided to cut them up. Actually, I was able to make both fenders for this bike out of the old rear fender. I made the front exactly like I had imagined for the bike:

The rear originally was intended to match the front fender in size, but decided to extend it all the way down to the chainstay bridge where it provides a bit more coverage. I think it looks nice, but I can always cut it down later on if I desire:

And now a profile shot of the whole bike:

If that isn't enough, I may still have something up my sleeve. As much as I like the handlebar mounted bottle cage, it is in the way of mounting a headlight with this cool little bracket I picked up recently:

It's even Schwinn Approved, so I have to use it right?

Nice build. Ups doesn't tell you that if the shipping label on your box falls off, they send it
to another location and they go through your box and then they look for who lost what.
They lost one for us that was insured for $100 and worth $26,000 at retail. We were crazy with
the loss. They finally found it. Was a good day when they called. We now write where its going
with a sharpie all over the box. :lol:

Great looking ride.
Great tip uncle stretch. I will start doing that. I may even start leaving a note inside the box too.

Back