Red Roadster - completed!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Don't really know how to categorize this build. Started life as a Schwinn Sidewinder 2.6 FS. Here is a pic I found on the net of the original bike.
stock photo.jpg

Picked it up frame and forks last Fall at a swap for 10 bucks.
Had some wheels from an old Huffy mountain bike in the stash and put some used red Duro tires on them.
I guess I was bored and thought try the red tires on the bike with red trim and kinda liked it.
DSCF2173.JPG

According to Wikipedia, a Test Mule is "a testbed vehicle equipped with prototype components requiring evaluation. They are often camouflaged to deceive competitors and thwart a curious automotive press."
Honest, that's all this is. A mobile learning experience, a test bed where I could learn more about fitting Derailleurs and 3 piece bottom bracket parts together in new combinations. I had no idea how much I would like the looks of the ex Schwinn road bike crank on this frame.
5.00 schwinn world road.JPG

http://ratrodbikes.com/forum/index....-of-chainline-3-piece-bb.102203/#post-1031642
index.php

Once I sorted the bottom bracket, everything fell into place, sorta.
It's an odd duck, parts from all over, but took it for a ride today and it feels great.
feb 21 2017 002.jpg
feb 21 2017 005.jpg
feb 21 2017 006.jpg
I'm going to document this further - gear ratios, ect. Plus more info on the parts involved. Seat and post may change but bars are pretty comfortable to me as they are.
Thought I'd submit it into the Winter 2017 build contest because I like it so much. :)

Last edited:
Looks like you are having fun with this build. And, also enjoying a snow-free day / week in February in the far north with a warm enough day to take pictures outside. The bike and the weather go together; unique.

O.J. Yes, enjoying the crazy nice weather. Hand washed and waxed the car outside yesterday using garden hose! hard to believe its February in Wisconsin.

Luke, It is very comfortable for me to ride. Did 12 miles yesterday with it and I'm beginning to think bike frames are like shoes - some fit really well and become favorites, others just don't fit right no matter what you do.

Schwinn Sidewinder 2.6 FS
Original Specs:
Frame: Schwinn ride-tuned steel frame with bend seat stays
Fork: RST Omni 191 suspension fork
Handlebar/Stem: MTB riser handlebar and Schwinn stem with 2-bolt faceplate
Shifters: SRAM grip shift shifters
Derailleurs: Shimano TY-32A front and Shimano TY-22-7 rear derailleurs
Brakes: Pro Max alloy front and rear linear pull brakes
Levers: Pro Max alloy 3-finger brake levers
Crank: Alloy 24t/34t/42t MTB crank
Freewheel: Shimano 7-speed 14-28T freewheel
Rims: 26" x 1.5" 36-spoke alloy black with ground sidewall anodized rims
Hubs: Front alloy quick-release
Tires: Schwinn 26" x 2" Black MTB tires
Seat: Men's Schwinn sport saddle
Number of Speeds: 21

Last edited:
Got a vintage black Mesinger saddle from my brother today. Looks better than that grey Bell.
Mule 3.jpg

Mule 6.jpg

The 3pc crank is a vintage 52 and 40 t SR Japan Silstar model. Due to lack of clearance, the 40 tooth chainring had to be removed. The Rat trap pedals came along with the crank.
Calculated gear inches using 52 t front sprocket
are as follows:
1st gear 28 t = 49 gear inches
2nd gear 24 t = 56 gear inches
3rd gear 21 t = 64 gear inches
4th gear 18 t = 75 gear inches
5th gear 16 t = 85 gear inches
6th gear 14 t = 97 gear inches.

Original paint is pretty nice. got rid of a couple stickers but I guess the other logos are painted on.
test mule logo 1.JPG
test mule logo 2.JPG
test mule logo 3.JPG

The front suspension seems inop now :p, and I found these plastic fenders in my stash. So now I'm thinking of swapping out the suspension fork for a solid fork from a Schwinn Heavy Duti...
Schwinn full fender 1.jpg
Schwinn full fender 2.jpg
Schwinn full fender 3.jpg

Don't really know how to categorize this build. Started life as a Schwinn Sidewinder 2.6 FS. Here is a pic I found on the net of the original bike.
View attachment 46317
Picked it up frame and forks last Fall at a swap for 10 bucks.
Had some wheels from an old Huffy mountain bike in the stash and put some used red Duro tires on them.
I guess I was bored and thought try the red tires on the bike with red trim and kinda liked it.
View attachment 46318
According to Wikipedia, a Test Mule is "a testbed vehicle equipped with prototype components requiring evaluation. They are often camouflaged to deceive competitors and thwart a curious automotive press."
Honest, that's all this is. A mobile learning experience, a test bed where I could learn more about fitting Derailleurs and 3 piece bottom bracket parts together in new combinations. I had no idea how much I would like the looks of the ex Schwinn road bike crank on this frame.View attachment 46323
http://ratrodbikes.com/forum/index....-of-chainline-3-piece-bb.102203/#post-1031642
index.php

Once I sorted the bottom bracket, everything fell into place, sorta.
It's an odd duck, parts from all over, but took it for a ride today and it feels great.
View attachment 46324 View attachment 46325 View attachment 46326 I'm going to document this further - gear ratios, ect. Plus more info on the parts involved. Seat and post may change but bars are pretty comfortable to me as they are.
Thought I'd submit it into the Winter 2017 build contest because I like it so much. :)

What hardly any snow? How do you guys in NE East Wisconsin rate so High? We got 2 feet of April sploosh balls and berries on the ground right now. Yesterday morning it was -10F, today +35F. It's been warm here all winter with about 2 or 3 feet less than our long term average for snow, so far. You must be way down on the average, you got brown grass! I like the bike's red/black motif. I like the bars, gooseneck, red tires, crank and fenders. Nice looking bike.

Thanks! As far as weather here this year, we have had many storms go North or South of us. The winter has been something of an oddity for sure.

This winter is crazy. I never ran the snowblower at all! Only shoveled a little one morning... (I take care of a church) last year I shoveled 5 Sundays in a row!
I like the older heavy duti fork too.

Carl.

This winter is crazy. I never ran the snowblower at all! Only shoveled a little one morning... (I take care of a church) last year I shoveled 5 Sundays in a row!
I like the older heavy duti fork too.

Carl.
I bought a new snow blower and only used it twice until this last week when I used it two more times. I have had my street melt off to bare pavement 3 times. Lake Superior is open.

Finished fenders and added front caliper brake.
March 4 2017 005.jpg
March 4 2017 007.jpg

Added rear reflector I bought last year at a swap.

Thanks. I've got to come up with a better name for the bike. Hope to get a test ride in today. :)

Solid rider. I love the two shots with the full shadow of the bike in them. That first one, with a little larger angle perspective, would be a winner. Let's hope the sun shines another day this month.... :bigsmile:

Back