recent find - but odd components

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
picked up a 1979 schwinn 10 speed - was resprayed so no identifying marks - but has wierd parts - front derailer is a thunder bird 2 , and the rear is a shimano eagle with a protective cage ... were these stock parts ? they look original , but ive not had a schwinn with these before - looked at 1979 catalog and these components are not listed there - the serial number is EQ550862 - comes back to a 1979 chicago schwinn , its super rough shape - going for the restore angle cause it was spray bombed and all - found original burgandy red color on head tube , head badge is stamped "1429" - that means may 22and 1979 , right ? ..... so my main question is about the oddball shifter components .....any help ?

008_zpsbd4b60cb.jpg

009_zps2a0c734d.jpg

Last edited:
I believe the shifters are later manufacture than 79.
The deraliers are old, but when I started bike wrenching it was like 1981.
I saw bunches of them, installed bunches of them, they came on bunches of bikes!
Weather or not Schwinn original I have no clue....

The logo on the front forks is different - kinda looks like a surfboard shape with a star in the middle - like a tall thin oval - will post pic when I get home

i too have seen a lot of these plastic shifters.
where i am not sure what bicycle they go to. i am confident their not original Schwinn components.
i saw alto of them on lower end bicycles
i can also say they will snap really easily so be careful with them if their tough to move.
i wanna say 80's huffy had these shifters but i am not sure.
the shimano eagle i believe would be on some Schwinn
as far as Thunderbird i do not know that one but im gonna assume it is replaced.
this bicycle looks to be one someone just kept running and did not care about name brand parts
it's a cool bike to restore and i would love to see it restored
good luck with it.
Sean

Thanks for the responses - I've done some more work on the frame and found the varsity logo. - so that makes it a 79 varsity - I agree that most all the components were changed out - I'm looking for an original
Group set for it in the next month or so , I guess

Back