Rebuilding a Mattatuck hub question

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am rebuilding a Mattatuck hub and it has internal discs for the brakes instead of shoes. It is similar to the brake set up on a Bendix automatic hub. My question is about lubricant. Should I use an oil instead of grease like on a Bendix? I want it to work correctly and not burn up the brass discs. If anyone knows what is correct for a Mattatuck hub, please let me know. It had grease in it before but that does not mean it is right. Thanks.

Excellent. Thanks.

If it worked for you then I will do the same. These hubs are a pain in the butt compared to a Bendix, but I did notice that it does stop very well.

For whatever it's worth: Mattatuck is the descendant of New Departure. New Departure hubs use the same brake discs. I have a copy of an old service manual chapter for New Departure that says use "Hypoid" (automotive differential lube) on the brake discs and grease on everything else. Hypoid has a content of sacrificial metals that are used in high friction, wiping, sliding, applications. This is what I did in my last New Departure, and so far it works very nicely. As a practical matter, most people probably use grease and have fine results as well. Bicycle hubs are not very highly stressed, and I am not hearing about an epidemic of failed brakes. Sometime when you are riding, look down and see how slowly the hubs themselves are actually turning!

Back