Rebuild An Electric Horn....

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's how I re-built a vintage electric horn off my Elgin:
First...Start with an old horn:

IMG_0187.jpg

IMG_0188.jpg

IMG_0189.jpg

Then go buy some NEW components...

IMG_0190.jpg

Here we go....!

IMG_0191.jpg

First, Remove the old horn...

IMG_0192.jpg

Then I "trial fit" the new components...

IMG_0193.jpg

Close...

IMG_0198.jpg

Ok...Modify The Horn By Cutting Off One "Ear"...

IMG_0196.jpg

Got It!!

IMG_0200.jpg

Ok...Install The New Horn...

IMG_0201.jpg

IMG_0202.jpg

IMG_0203.jpg

9v Battery Goes Here...(What Luck... :mrgreen: )

IMG_0205.jpg

IMG_0206.jpg

Next...Clean Up The Switch...

IMG_0207.jpg

Now Solder The Neg. Lead...

IMG_0208.jpg

Now Solder The Other Neg. Lead...

IMG_0209.jpg

Put Her back together and...DONE!

IMG_0210.jpg

IMG_0211.jpg

IMG_0219.jpg

ENJOY!!! Oh, How I wish we had sound.... :wink:

Ok...sensor: It sounds kinda "gay"...so I'm not too ready to "sound off"
aka_locojoe said:
Where did you get the "Piezo Sounder"?
...At my local electrical supplier parts shop...
maddogrider: Stay tuned....That is my next post...

wouldn't it been better to get the original horn to work? it is easy to R&R something, but it takes a real mechanic to fix it

Dude I tried...I put 12vdc through that circuit....still nada...nothing but sparks 'an smoke!!! She's toast!! Follow my post....Rebuild 'her...

for one, it is a 1 1/2 volt horn, not 12 volt, there is an adjustment screw, etc, I have seen horns in worst condition than that one that made work, oh well, it is yours,

olschbp said:
for one, it is a 1 1/2 volt horn, not 12 volt, there is an adjustment screw, etc, I have seen horns in worst condition than that one that made work, oh well, it is yours,
I tried...The first thing I did was to try a fresh battery...Nada...Then I cleaned the contacts and tried a fresh battery...Nada...I've worked around motorcycles for 20+ years...I tried to adjust the horn and a fresh battery...Nada...Then I tried all that with a fresh battery wired directly to the horn, bypassing the switch and mounting...Nada...Then I tried a 9v battery to "push the boundry", since I pretty much figured the horn was already N/F...Nada...So I thought, what the heck? If she won't sound with 12vdc then I know it's toast...Nada... :|

it still looks the part. :) i've been looking for an old horn like that for some time. killa cool bud!

I want to go to there! ...., and I had a cool old horn shell I could have restored like this but I sold it. nice job.

Looking good Randy. So are you going to restore or Rat it?

I'm thinking restore...I'm gonna try to put 26" wheels on her...And try to set her up for the wife to ride...Wish me luck! :mrgreen:

Latest posts

Back