Rear Sproket Snap Ring pops loose under load

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Felt Cruiser that has 24X4 inch oversized wheels. It currently has a coaster rear brake setup with the offset rear sproket set to the outside so the chain clears the tire. The issue I am having is that even with everything aligned the rear sproket pops off the snap ring when under load, if I am pedalling hard. The sprocket is seated and I have replaced the snap ring a few times. I was just wondering is anyone has run into the same issue. Im thinking of just tacking the snap ring to the hub in a couple spots but wanted to use that as a last resort.
Thanks

You've already done what I would suggest. Sounds like its just got too much leverage being extended like that for a simple snap ring. what about using the flat style that you need actual "snap ring pliers" for ? no round edges to "roll" off the hub might help ???

images

Try a new snap ring. It is hard to tell with spring clamps if they are working sometimes.

Also look at your chainline. My guess you rear cog further from center than the chainring on the crank. If you have enough threads on your cranks, add a washer or two between the inner bearing cone and the sprocket.

I have replaced the snap ring a few times already. I also tried the flat snap style ring as well, but for the diameter the ring needs to clip on to, they are just too narrow and do not fill up the channel like the round one does so its even worse. It keeps it locked in better because wider, but leaves too much play to where the chain doesnt track well at all. Im leaning towards tacking the ring in place and not having to worry about it. I guess I could always dremel the welds in the event I needed to take it off or just replace the hub.

If you like the gearing, tacking it and forgetting about it sounds best to me, if its just a standard coaster brake hub im sure there are plenty of spare drivers around too if you ever needed a new one to tack too again.

You may end up with your chain derailing more often by tacking the snapring . Best to fix the cause rather slap a band aid on it.

The chain isn't pulling exactly in a straight line when judging by the sprocket. When you are pedaling hard, the frame may flex slightly, changing the angle of the chain, just enough to put too much stress on the rear sprocket. I would align it by adjusting the wheel as much as possible, although you have probably done that already.

Back