Re-pop Schwinn GREY GHOST

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CCR

Mouth-Breather
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
@ the LBS, wants $300 BUT !!! it doesnt have the stick shifter, its got a S/A grip twist shifter, it has 1 set of wire guides on the top tube though, sound fishy ??

Ive also seen some of the Schwinn deluxe w/ nexus 7 speed, BUT theyve got pyramid springers on em, the green/chrome and blue/chrome "#7" springers were spotted on a bench when i was walkin through the store lookin at the used bikes. Also no tanks were on the girl frames.

He does get some schwinns that are blemished bikes that he does sell way below what Schwinn suggests, but i was just thinkin, arent these some of the more desirable parts off these bikes?

I know enough not to get suckered (i think anyways) just seein if anyone thinks my gut feelin is right ?

schwinn%20grey%20ghost.jpg

Actually, the Grey Ghost repop DOESN'T come with a stick shift.....only the twist grip shifter. I know this because my local LBS has one hanging on the rack that I drool all over every time I'm in there.

LOL, your LBS has a good price on thier GG at $300.......my local LBS wants a whopping $389 :roll:

He also has a repop Pea Picker in the back too...still in the box, untouched....but he wants something ridiculous like $350 or so for it :cry:

now the deluxe i know hed swapped out the forks, BUT i guess if he gets "blemished" bikes they coulda been bent er somethin, he did have 2 with the pyramids (all chrome) on the floor, but also had 2 with the right forks further down the rack. and i think he was only askin $350 for them too, again bad CCR, BAD !!! :oops:

Deluxe207.jpg

Well, solved that in bout 10 minutes, must be my time of the month er somethin :) thats what i was goin off of for the girls deluxe, again :oops:

deluxegirls.jpg

I like the greenone, Chainguard sucks, and needs a bigger sprocket

So are these repops lighter weight than an original? Have they used modern tube sets in cro-mo or aluminum? It'd be nice to save a few pounds!

RatFink has one of the new Ghosts. Hopefully he'll see this thread and provide us with some details.

-Mp

Coach J has the green one which I rode last night for the first Cruise in our hometown. It rides reaaallllly nice. It's quite a bit lighter than an original and the seven speed is really nice as well.

We ended the ride at a hot dawg stand that was having it's grand opening. Out of the 4 cruisers we had there (out of 22 riders) the deluxe by far got the most comments and questions.

jeff

ratdaddy said:
Coach J has the green one which I rode last night for the first Cruise in our hometown. It rides reaaallllly nice. It's quite a bit lighter than an original and the seven speed is really nice as well.

We ended the ride at a hot dawg stand that was having it's grand opening. Out of the 4 cruisers we had there (out of 22 riders) the deluxe by far got the most comments and questions.

jeff

We have at least one of the Deluxe rolling around in my town. I am "one of" the town eccentrics in that I seldom drive, I usually am riding my bike (town is only 3x4 miles for Pete's sake...c'mon) I see the guy on the Deluxe two-three times a week. I am planning on a Classic 3 in Red with big baskets on it for grocery runs. The store he bought it from still has the women's version on the sales floor. Those bikes aren't bad at all for the money. They are a step or two up in quality from the Walmart specials.

Aaron 8)

Ghostly Braze ons...

Yes the 2006 Grey ghost rep does have what I call 'Ghostly Braze ons' on the top tube. I have often wondered what they are for or were going to be for. This is 'normal' on these bikes. I would guess they would be to route a diffrent rear brake and maybe a stick shift...but I'm not sure of cable routing or hardware.

It also has what looks like a mount point for a rear brake (rim pincher type). Right at the rear fender mount (it's fugly).

-They all came with the twist grip 5 speed. Stick shifts are unsafe in the modern world, remember.

It would seem Schwinn decided to go with the S/A drum brake 5 speed on the rear as an after thought or something. It is a mystery...I was thinking of posting the question about the braze ons on 'The Schwinn' fourm.

P.S. I paid $149 on flea bay :lol: but it would seem the rush of uber cheap Grey Ghosts on ebay has somewhat ended.

http://search.ebay.com/search/search.dl ... category0=

Re: weight...It's a HEAVY little bugger. Possibly more than my Ratfink...which is much larger but Aluminum.

It is a cool ride...5 gears means you can get around. Chicks dig it. :wink:

Back