Re-named Coca-Cola Bike.

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: My Road Bike I asked you's about.

udallcustombikes said:
BrunneCustoms said:
For my bars I am planning on tightly wrapping the black area in twine for grips. I'm a little stumped at the moment though as to how to keep it in place. Any thoughts on this?

Drill a small hole (just big enough to thread your twine through) on the under side of the bars where you want the grips to start. Thread the twine into the bars and out the open end. Tie a knot in the end and pull the knot back to the inside of the hole. Wrap the bars and when you get to the end of the bars tuck the end into the bars and use a cork to secure it. Now take your new grips and dip them into some shellac to seal them and give them a nice amber color. Dip and dry, dip and dry. Two or three coats should do nicely.
This is another way, I use #2 on my rope ends http://www.ropeworks.biz/reader/whipping.pdf

Graylock

Graylock that is great! I'll keep that in mind for the next time. I like that the pictures are clear in what they are showing you. Helps for a slow guy like me :mrgreen:

There is another way to use a Clove Hitch to make a handle grip but I can't find an example in the interweb. All you do is start with a clove hitch and keep repeating it around the handle. It gives it a spirial effect and I would think You can make a left handed and right handed spirials for bike bars. We used to do this type of thing on the tiller of a sailboat. I like what you did, clear coat it.

Graylock

Graylock said:
There is another way to use a Clove Hitch to make a handle grip but I can't find an example in the interweb. All you do is start with a clove hitch and keep repeating it around the handle. It gives it a spirial effect and I would think You can make a left handed and right handed spirials for bike bars. We used to do this type of thing on the tiller of a sailboat. I like what you did, clear coat it.

Graylock

Clove hitch? :shock: I'll look it up. :D Yes I did clear coat it. I used a lighter to burn all the frayed strands off to make it cleaner looking. Added a little color too :oops: I will post the finished pics tomorrow after a couple more coats. I'm really happy the way it turned out so far. The diameter of the extensions was less than the actual bars but when I wrapped the twine it made it even. It's like I knew what I was doing! Total accident... I had no idea what I was going to do... I just knew for sure I wanted extensions.

Heh heh It's okay. I should have taken a better picture of the way I added the extensions. The extension piece actually fits inside the original tube and is in there a good 3 inches. Then I drilled a hole in the bottom and popped in a rivet.

So here it is with it's paint job... It looks good from afar but it's far from good... :( Basement is too cold and even though I've tried warming it up more it just doesn't seem to want to co-operate. I may need to redo some spots come spring.
148399_10150094537935396_509120395_7402067_1221221_n.jpg

I was going to suggest that #2 also Greylock. That is the method you use to wrap the eyes on a fishing rod.
Also you can paint when its really cold ,if you keep your spray can warm in the house , along with the frame...run outside in the cold and spray it real quick then take it back in the house where its warm when you finish. It will smell a little , but goes away pretty quick.

Graylock said:
I dig the smell :|

GL
me too but when I start getting dizzy I guess I shouldn't be painting inside...

Does anyone have an idea for the type of chainguard I could/should use? Also looking for fenders... I don't want to buy anything and not have it fit. I'm going to be using 24" wheels on this.
This is one I saw in the Street Skinny Cruiser thread... it's Klzw's. It's very much the look I am going for.
4702779263_a4c017d699_b.jpg

Mine will have wood between the top two bars (building that this week). And a wood box on the back rack. (also building that this week).

I went down to look at the bike today and I came to a startling revelation. My paint job isn't too bad, the "rough" spots make it looks "ratty" :D So I think I will clear coat it and leave it. I cut the wood today to fit between the top bars. Not much to show you yet because it just looks like wood... I'll do more on that tomorrow. The bars are done and this is how the grips came out.
154341_10150095091935396_509120395_7408392_4887126_n.jpg

That's all for now. Oh and I am thinking I'm going to use the sprocket from the bike I posted in the fresh finds. I am not sure only because when I get to that bike I may want it on there instead...decisions, decisions.

I hope info helps, I know its helped me lol

The sproket from that old CCM might not fit, I've never tried a triangle spindle in a modern type spindle place, I noticed that the spacing has to be 100% on those triangle ones. On another note, thats a very cool looking bike your building, I really dig that handle bar idea and the second top tube idea you came up with, it brings hope to us welderless people. lol I'll eventualy get one but thats a good idea. chainguard may be a problem too.
If you use to big of a sproket it wont fit right, and it will have to be rear gears only.
However, I know of two bicycles that will have all the parts you need, and since you live in ontario like me they should be easy as pie to get.

One is a CCM bike from 70's the chainguard on these bikes looks neat and screws into a hole in frame, you can place it where it fits on bike and just put small hole in frame for screw. other chainguards may cause problems and not fit right because it's a road bike frame. the CCM's fenders should also be used, just use narrow tire.

Second bike is a Raleigh Sprite or Sports, sprite is prefered because the fender size and chainring. sports has the crank as well as fenders, the fenders should fit though if you use narrow 24" tires.

Heres a picture of two bikes I've had that you can see the parts what they look like
This is a Raleigh sports, it's very old but they havn't changed a great much in 70's
100_2287.jpg

This is a CCM Ranger, chainguard and fenders should work but youd hacw to maybe alter braces, some with raliegh's braces.
100_2083.jpg

Hey thanks guys... Today I didn't get to anything... besides Barrie for an appointment... However my truck has no radio so when I'm driving I have lots of time to think. My thoughts are this. The sprocket and cranks etc. on the "fresh find" CCM are going to stay with that bike. I feel they will suit it better when I get to that build. The gears this bike had were setup as a 12 speed. I think I will keep it at that and try my hand at a custom chainguard. I have some ideas brewing I'll keep you posted. As far as fenders go I think I need to wait until I get the wheels I want before I make decisions on that too. I have another "ratty" idea brewing. I feel like Frankenstein working out the details that led to his monster... :mrgreen:

Where abouts in Ontario are you Hsean?

Capital of canada, Ottawa.

The capital is "C" :lol: :roll: My cousin Andy and his wife and kids live in Ottawa. I haven't been in years. I should try and make the trip out there again next summer.

Back