Re: My first "cut and weld" ratrod... Needs just eye candy

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Great, now I have to add funky bed headboards to my list of stuff to look for at yard sales!!! :x

Great job!

Full on choppery sweetness bro!

Cool to hear about your welding instruction. What diameter sticks are you using? 3/32"? I've got an e-mail in to tech support at HF about switching polarity, see if that makes any difference one way or the other.

Great chop, hope you get to start another one soon.

Thanks all. Going on vacation soon, so it's timed well to let the paint cure. And then I'll get to those final pesky details. Is it just me or are these final details the easiest to do, but hardest to get mentally motivated about?!

kingfish254 said:
Great, now I have to add funky bed headboards to my list of stuff to look for at yard sales!!! :x

Uh, if you're referring to the seat upholstery, did you read my post that it's my wife's dress, not from a headboard? Don't worry, I won't tell her you said that :wink: In her defense, it was given to her and she never wore it in public!

jackdaw said:
What diameter sticks are you using? 3/32"? I've got an e-mail in to tech support at HF about switching polarity, see if that makes any difference one way or the other.

Yes, I'm using 3/32" 6013 from Lincoln. And isn't switching polarity for converting from stick to tig? Blind leading the blind here?!

Jawon said:
kingfish254 said:

Uh, if you're referring to the seat upholstery, did you read my post that it's my wife's dress, not from a headboard? Don't worry, I won't tell her you said that :wink: In her defense, it was given to her and she never wore it in public!

LOL!!!!! No dude, I was referring to the scrolly metal thingy that you made the sissy bar and bars out of. It reminds me of a funky headboard.

kingfish254 said:
Jawon said:
kingfish254 said:

LOL!!!!! No dude, I was referring to the scrolly metal thingy that you made the sissy bar and bars out of. It reminds me of a funky headboard.

Ah, ok you're forgiven. Them things would be coffee table legs and I'm now constantly looking out for metal things too that could be made into bikes... makes me be more observant of my surroundings :)

noodlenoggin said:
I think this build is pretty darn cool -- it makes me want to run to Harbor Freight and get a welder and start frogging around. I can't, but I want to. I like the lines of the bike, nice work.

Thanks! I think the bike itself ended up ok, but it was the process that was really interesting. For me, it bumped up the challenge and creativity factor (and sustained my interest) exponentially. Can't wait to tidy up this build and start another welding project. I got my one mulligan out of my system, so now I'm feeling more confident!

Fyi, there are always coupons floating around for the HF fluxcore wire feed welder (gasless) for $80. That's not what I bought, but was a close 2nd.

Back