Re: My first "cut and weld" ratrod... Needs just eye candy

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: My first "cut and weld" ratrod... Cheesy handlebar

I added an old banana seat and a rusty chain. Not sure if I'll keep the seat, but I'm trying to keep the cost of parts at $0.

And after another noobie grinding and welding session, I'm getting the hang of it. Word of advice to other noobie stick welders... apply the tips from Atomic Zombie linked previously. They are spot on and if I had paid attention, I'd be further along. Winging it and learning-on-the-job may ultimately be useful as I learn what NOT to do, but it's a bit of a pain when you're in the thick of it!

Anyway, I played around with the legs of a coffee table that I posted earlier and I made handlebars out of them. I think it looks a bit cheesy, but it was fun thinking about it... I think there's a lot of potential designing custom bars to make a bike stand out, I'm just not sure this one is a winner! If I stick with it, maybe I'll name this "The Ram".

100_2431.jpg

100_2429.jpg

Re: My first "cut and weld" ratrod

I love the stance of this bike. The flow and rake, it all adds up to a great stance.

The first picture of the bars I was like, uh... not so much. When I looked at the second picture I saw that they work just right with the flow too! I've never seen something like those. Cool! I think they could really work if you like them. They are unique and really "chopperish".

You've got a pretty good looking bike going here. Keep it up!

I'm with you on the welding, I'm going to practice more today and hope it works out for my build.

Re: My first "cut and weld" ratrod... It rides!

Never mind the pink pedals and the embarrassingly loopy sissy bars, the point is it rides! Welded on a new seat post to get the seat further back. And added sissy bars. Both made out of the same old coffee table legs that the handlebars are made from, and we are in business. Rides nice and low and not as floppy as I expected with the big rake. This rat is about half bike, half coffee table!

All the major components are in place. I plan to do a final pass on the welds to fill in the gaps... major lesson is that I don't want to do multiple passes... get it right the first time! And I need to clean up edges and other cosmetic stuff. And then I'll give it a good clean and slap on some new paint. I'm hoping the paint will make it look 100% sweeter.

Not the prettiest, but I'm still having a blast with my eyes opened up to the endless possibilities now that I have marginal-at-best grinding and stick welding experience! As they say, I now know just enough to be dangerous.

100_2452.jpg

Super sick bro' ! Original too, you got lucky with that coffee table huh? Enjoy! I look forward to seeing you next one.

jackdaw said:
Super sick bro' ! Original too, you got lucky with that coffee table huh? Enjoy! I look forward to seeing you next one.

Thx. Yes lucky on the coffee table. Gonna call this my CT Chopper! And i think i will try to find and reuse dumpster material like that to keep things interesting. And im not done with this one just... its just getting to the fun and satisfying part.

I was planning to just leave my ugly noobie welds as-is, but the perfectionist in me couldn't keep still. So I started grinding them down and I'm liking how it looks. But I don't know how to finish it off.

Grinding question 1: I have a 4.5 inch grinder so there are certain parts on the bike I can't get to. Is there a preferred tool to grind down those hard-to-get sections? One of those dremel-type tools?

Grinding question 2: After grinding the welds, how do I get rid of the grind marks? Flap disc? Just hand sand? Grit?

Thx for helping a brother cover up his many imperfections!

I'll probably end up using files to get the hard to reach areas.I don't know if the weld metal is a lot harder than tube steel? If not, a sharp file should do good. I personally think of files as a consumable, albeit, a long lasting one. With the sand paper start with the one that will take off the grinder marks fastest. Sitting in front of the computer I would think 80 or 100 grit. Then move up in fineness until you get tired of it :lol: . You can get emery cloth in rolls, http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss? ... +2%22+roll, they are really handy.

One of my teachers in school insisted that the only way to get rid of the coarser grits scratches was to sand at a 90 degree angle until all the coarse marks were gone. Then at a 90 with the next finest also. I think he was crazy. But he did awesome work.

I dig your build, it's been cool seeing your process.

Sweet! That beast looks like she was built in the south!! Those antler bars are where its at!! Build on son!! :lol:

Re: My first "cut and weld" ratrod... Painting

After a lot of grinding/filing/sanding to smooth out the welds, I've decided good enough is good enough. I tried to grind out all the weld imperfections, but decided to leave some in as a reminder of the lessons from my first welding project.

I really really like how a smoothed-out weld looks, like cannondales, but I now realize first-hand how much work it is to do that! I know there are custom framebuilders who fillet braze and smooth out those welds... I'm assuming that may be a little easier, but kudos to anyone going that hard extra mile!

So I'm putting away the welder and grinder for this project. Now is the fun part of painting (Duplicolor lacquer rattle can). Decided on a magenta (I think this picture makes it look more red than it actually is) to better hide the imperfections. This is pre clear coat. Not sure yet what color I'll paint the fork, bars, and sissy bar. Black might be too cliche. Anyway, we're getting closer!

100_2516.jpg

Looks good man. I can't think what to paint the fork etc. other than black. Maybe the fork magenta also? Basic black. I don't want to go into what I find cliche cuz I'll offend EVERYBODY!!! :lol: (flat black, red rims, white walls.)

You can use a die grinder for the heavy spots in the tight areas, then finish off with your files. Get an assortment of files( round, triangle, flat). And use less pressure as it starts to look the way you want. I am in no way a professional, but these welding and finishing methods have worked for me.

Thx all for the finishing tips. I definitely could have been more diligent with the filing and sanding, but I was getting impatient. Just want to check off my first welding project and move on to the next one, hopefully with better attention to detail.

I also just bought a new camera with better macro function so can now show my work in all its glorious ugliness in fine detail. I have no qualms sharing my imperfections, just didn't have to tool for it til now!

So here is my head tube, ground down, filed, sanded, painted, clear coated.

P1000003.jpg

And the seat stays and seat post. These welds may look a little scary but I think the major joints are fine. The top section with all the gaps is a quarter (as in $0.25) used as a plug for the tube. You can kinda see the head! I wanted to make this section flow smoothly but again, didn't have the patience, so I admit, it's just an ugly bundle of joints.

P1000004.jpg

And I decided on white for the bars and forks. I know, I will regret the white forks the first time I ride thru a puddle... but I'm in SoCal so I'll take my chances. I figured it would highlight the rake. Gotta go buy some more clear coat, slap some paint on the sissy bar and I think I'll be ready to re-assemble!

P1000002.jpg

Man, that paint looks great. It looks like the head tube welds are fine, yes? The others, well so long as they hold right? I can't wait to see your bike reassembled. What are you planning for your next build?

My welding is about the same, I blob it on, grind it off and blob it on again!

Brotherhood of the Scabby Welders!! :lol:

jackdaw said:
Man, that paint looks great.

Bigdaddy772 said:
Btw what color red is that? Looks killer.

Thanks. It's Duplicolor's Toreador Red lacquer, topped off with clear coat. I'm not ready to move onto the spray guns (much less powder coating). Rattle cans have been sufficient for me and I think I've gotten ok making it look as good as they can. Of course the durability is always the problem, but I've been meaning to play with different amounts of clear coat (ie, cake it on).

P1000012.jpg

jackdaw said:
It looks like the head tube welds are fine, yes? The others, well so long as they hold right?

I'm gonna say the head tube welds are fine, but honestly I have no idea what I'm talking about. I know experienced welders talk about weld penetration and that sounds really important, but all I can say is that I tried my noobie best to do a "clean" weld (which I'm not equating with a good-looking weld). I suppose time will tell!

jackdaw said:
What are you planning for your next build?

Can't think about my next build yet. I have a tendency to lose focus, so you are not helping :lol: But I will probably be more adventurous with the design and try to find another household item (like the coffee table legs) to integrate into it! I think I like the idea of "dumpster diving" builds... help the landfills while building something with personality!

jackdaw said:
My welding is about the same, I blob it on, grind it off and blob it on again!

Brotherhood of the Scabby Welders!! :lol:

Amen brotha!

No significant progress on the build yet, but I met a pro welder at church and I asked him to do some welds with my machine. I don't have photos but they came out way different than mine.

He welded similar bike tubes as mine using the same machine and sticks, but he was using 75 amps (I was around 55) AND moved the stick a bit slower than me. I would've guessed that would've burned through, but the beads came out great, they weren't even rounded beads (ie, blobs), they came out nearly flat. He says thats how you know it has good penetration. By that measure, none of my welds have good penetration so I think I'll be riding my bike very carefully! And he did it so quickly and cleanly, I'm envious!

He did say a mig fluxcore wire feed would be easier and faster but that my stick was perfectly fine for bikes. So I'll have to tinker and practice A LOT more before the next build. For now, I need to focus on the final assembly of this one (despite the questionable welds!)... I'm almost there, life just keeps getting in the way... arghh.

Nice build! I love dupli-color!! I used it on Retro Rat-O.

This is gonna look sharp!

A family affair. Wife's "gonna donate to Goodwill" dress + kids' pipe cleaners + extra foam laying around = new cushy seat.

P1000143.jpg

And I finally got the sissy bars painted so all the key components are in place...

P1000148.jpg

P1000149.jpg

The rest of the to-do list are relatively minor...
- Replace pink pedals
- Install grips
- Install chain
- Maybe install chainguard
- Maybe add some frivolous accents like a license plate on the sissy bars

I'll probably slowly work on the above while letting the lacquer cure in the garage for the next several weeks (kids already put a scratch on it). And I'll hopefully put up some fancier pictures of the final final product.

lookslike all those parts came together real nice ... looking good bro nice job.. 8)

Back