Ratty Caddy

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey do you have a descent amount of room between the sprocket and the frame?If so use a thinner spacer washer between the sprocket and your lock ring in your bottom bracket,that way you have the room on the outside of your crank for a washer.

Barely enough room, because to add a little in one spot makes the rear wheel sprocket way off center from the main drive sprocket, and going the other way lets the small sprocket or the chain touch the frame. I put the original sprockets on for a try, but the teeth are in really bad shape except for the front sprocket, somehow it's good. I also need chains that aren't wide, I have some narrow lengths, but not enough for the whole thing. I have miles of the heavier chain, but they contact each other because of the spacing between the rear sprockets. I could buy some, but I'm trying to keep this cheap. I'll attack the problem again tomorrow.

karfer67 said:
i love all the paper towels on the table to keep the tools from getting it dirty but then to the lower left sitting on the WHITE chair is an adjustable wrench. oops

I wondered if anyone was going to notice that wrench. The wife didn't see it and that's what counts. I could have had this project done if I had access to my workbench and work area, but it's like a sauna outside, worse in the garage even with a huge fan going, and there's nowhere to put an AC unit.

My daughter and I were making a big Tiki god paper mache thing for a luau, using a big cardboard drum and had a mishap in the living room involving a gallon of glue. That's a story for another day, but I'm amazed I'm doing any work in the house after that. She must really want to go bike riding.

another problem

Still working the sprocket issue. Checked the action of the springer, and it will have to go back to the normal configuration, it didn't look like it would hold up the way I had it and didn't bounce back up when compressed. I still need to beef up the spring somehow.

It seems to me I've heard of people putting rubber bushings or grommets inside a beehive springer to give it a little extra strength. You did say it was a beehive right? Or maybe that was something else. :roll: nevermind if I'm amazingly off base.

Yep, it's the beehive in my avatar. I'm trying to figure out how adding grommets might help the spring. It bottoms out with just my weight on the bike. I've got 2 springs I could attach that would assist, but i'd like to stay with just the one big spring.

Actually, the two springs I have look just like those springs on patio loungers. I tried them and they worked. I took the springer off to paint it flat black when I noticed a 5 inch long crack along the head tube. I think that's bad news. Good thing I saw it before it failed.
So there's no need to worry about the springer anymore. I'll go back to the original forks with the big chunk missing from a fork end. Or maybe it can be welded up.

qnlafr.jpg

It's only going to get better. I sure hope so, or I might have to switch to my backup bike for the buildoff.

Man just weld a plate all the way around it and stiffen the heck out of it!! There will be no clearance issues there and noone would ever know.Hey am I the only one that noticed the spaceliner layin beneath the tandem frame!!?? Whats goin on with that frame??

Latest posts

Back