Rattle Can Opinion

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Which brand of paint in a spray can, do you think is best?
Had the best results with?
Easiest to use?

Etc....

Here's the response one of my car buddies gave me when I asked about rattle can....
"Krylon paints have really good carriers and a ton of pigment. Great to apply and pretty durable. I know a bunch of guys in the sign industry who use it for brackets, frames, other incidental stuff. The only place I can find it locally is WalMart. They recently reintroduced a satin silver which has a nice natural aluminum look.

For primer, Rustoleum makes a great self-etching dark green primer that you can use on anything. DupliColor makes a similar product which you can sometimes find at AutoZone, and I think I saw some in the automotive dept at WalMart. Both of those are great fast drying primers."

the Dupli-color stuff from the auto parts store is real nice...if you want a car color.. :roll:

I been using Rust-oleum my whole life it seems, takes forever to dry, but holds up pretty well for rattle paint..

Tailwinds said:
Here's the response one of my car buddies gave me when I asked about rattle can....
"Krylon paints have really good carriers and a ton of pigment. Great to apply and pretty durable. I know a bunch of guys in the sign industry who use it for brackets, frames, other incidental stuff. The only place I can find it locally is WalMart. They recently reintroduced a satin silver which has a nice natural aluminum look.

For primer, Rustoleum makes a great self-etching dark green primer that you can use on anything. DupliColor makes a similar product which you can sometimes find at AutoZone, and I think I saw some in the automotive dept at WalMart. Both of those are great fast drying primers."

Nailed it!

It has been my expierence that Krylon works best, and for me in WI with humid summers, it seemed to dry faster and better in humidity over rustoleum, which I have had troubles with in the humidity.

I've had nothing but grief with Rustoleum Primer, at least 50% of the time, no matter how much shaking I do, I get dust spitting out all over my frame & clogged tips...wipe the frame, clean the tip, shake, spray, more dust....wipe, shake, spray for 30-45 seconds into the air to clear the dust....sometimes works, sometimes I never clear the dust. Seems to be worse with the large cans.

And the brands don't jive. Once you start w/Rustoleum, you're stuck with it. Try Krylon over it & you've got instant wrinkle.

Anyone else experience this or do I just suck at rattlebombing?

krylon is my favorite though there was an orange they had that was a nightmare.

i really like the krylon "fusion" metallic nickel shimmer for stuff like fender braces and old handle bars, little darker in appearance than the original plating, but from 5 foot it makes them look original.

4256103.jpg

Rudy Rude said:
I've had nothing but grief with Rustoleum Primer, at least 50% of the time, no matter how much shaking I do, I get dust spitting out all over my frame & clogged tips...wipe the frame, clean the tip, shake, spray, more dust....wipe, shake, spray for 30-45 seconds into the air to clear the dust....sometimes works, sometimes I never clear the dust. Seems to be worse with the large cans.

And the brands don't jive. Once you start w/Rustoleum, you're stuck with it. Try Krylon over it & you've got instant wrinkle.

Anyone else experience this or do I just suck at rattlebombing?

clogged tips = old paint, prolly why it was all dusty too, but be aware that most primer doesn't wet out like finish paint , it goes on flat

as for switching brands, or even re-coating the same one, do the first couple coats as just a mist, just enough so that you can tell some is on there, then let it dry for 15 min. or so and the you should be good. always use light coats. the major mistake in spray painting (rattle or otherwise) is putting too much on,I am as guilty as any.. :roll: it's almost always the cause of "instant wrinkle"

I have a question that goes along with this.

I have an old powder coated frame. I sanded the powder coating ruff, I was planning on using it as a primer/base coat- will this work?

I've used everything from Krylon to Rustoleum to dollar store dollar cans. It's mostly in the prep work and spray technique as to how good of a finish you get. One thing I have noticed is to use the same brand primer as your paint. They are formulated to work together and I have had problems in the past trying to mix brands. The best advice I can give you is TAKE YOUR TIME and DON'T RUSH! A good paint job takes time and patience.

Back