BO15 RaTs GaSs...Great year all!...pg 26

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would just paint the frame, and leave the rest chrome. Don't want to over do it.
But maybe fenders too? They have a lot of surface area which could help bring out the colors more. Also, I will have 'filler' in the tank area and likely the area between the canti tubes / seat tube / down tube in the main frame as well. So yeah, that will help the fade have more effect.

But maybe fenders too? They have a lot of surface area which could help bring out the colors more. Also, I will have 'filler' in the tank area and likely the area between the canti tubes / seat tube / down tube in the main frame as well. So yeah, that will help the fade have more effect.
I've figured out over the years, that you've got a pretty keen eye for design. You'll know when it's got the right look.

Just paint the frame, painting the rest will make it too modern looking.

Another thing that was popular with gassers was to replace the glass with transparent colored Plexiglass. Maybe you could work some into your build.

Here is more gasser inspiration

1588957465671.png

Another thing that was popular with gassers was to replace the glass with transparent colored Plexiglass. Maybe you could work some into your build.

dedf8cd6d08035649ab110922e9271bc.png
1f18abbcd39b9f0732699d3828a001ee.jpg
61598ade456ddd3bc8bafc2a21374bf8.jpg

Just paint the frame, painting the rest will make it too modern looking.

Psycho, you are reading my mind again. Are you sure your name doesn't designate your occupation in real life? Psycho-logist?:wink1:

Be sure not to be "out-shined"!
RB-Tim, you've got something up your sleeve, I can tell! Should I check your build thread for major updates? I know you are as impulsive as I am when it comes to 'gettin' er dun' ! :21:

RaTs GaSs build Day 8

So, I have a few ideas about things I want to add to R.G., what some of our Southern brethren call "geegaw" or doo-dads or add-ons. You know, stuff that increases our RaT-isfaction when we look at our builds.

Today, with an appropri -RaT-e temperature in the low 30's, I went shopping for an insulation panel. I mean, there's another build on here with the Pink Panther theme, why not?

20200508_130944.jpg

The cool thing about these panels, is they are cut so you can snap off a strip, which comes in handy when your vehicle doesn't have an I.D. measurement of 4 ' wide...

Then I traced a pattern on cardboard for my 'insert' idea. And then transferred it to the panel.

20200508_133049.jpg
20200508_134947.jpg

The piece was actually 1 1/2 " thick, which was surprising to me as you know most lumber is not actually a 2" x 4", etc. But that was good, as you shall see.
I then cut the bottom portion off, to pursue another route. I cut two pieces for tank halves, and placed them for a mock up.

20200508_144442.jpg
20200508_144355.jpg

Then I grabbed the roll of Vinyl Frog adhesive backed chromed vinyl. And applied it to the large surface areas of the tank halves. And followed that by trimming the 'edges' with 3M chrome duct tape; which happened to be 1 1/2 " in width, exactly.

20200508_154143.jpg
20200508_154205.jpg

So, obviously the surface is not dead smooth on the insulation panel. It has a bit of a pock marked look. But when you spend 3 hours on a project, it deserves a look-see and should be put up for evaluation, I think.

Here's a couple of shots from different angles. Ignore the blue tape that is holding the two tank halves in place.

Is it horrible? It will likely be painted, probably lettering on it, maybe some stickers. Your feedback is welcome.

20200508_155647.jpg
20200508_155735.jpg

Smooth out the insulation a bit with bondo or fiberglass, assuming that type of insulation can take the heat.
Chrome tank looks good.
Thanks for the idea. Didn't think of that. Maybe a layer of fiberglass would also add some durability to it as well. :thumbsup:

RB-Tim, you've got something up your sleeve, I can tell! Should I check your build thread for major updates? I know you are as impulsive as I am when it comes to 'gettin' er dun' ! :21:
Yes, I am very impulsive and impatient. But the new bike doesn't get here until next week. Otherwise I would be riding it already! BTW......Do they make chrome tires??? :39:

Last edited:
I like the idea of the tank, but shaved down and maybe scaled down a bit.

I predict pink snow in the back40 forecast

Last edited:
Smooth out the insulation a bit with bondo or fiberglass, assuming that type of insulation can take the heat.
Chrome tank looks good.
Polyester resin might eat into the foam, I would use epoxy and glass cloth. Just remember polyester and epoxy don't mix well (using one over the other), use one or the other.

Latest posts

Back