RatDecó **DONE, NEW PICS**

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Guys, just wanted to show you what I´ve been up to this days. Turns out my Mom had had this bike since little, in fact it belonged to grandma and needless to say, she loves it. But the good old bike is growing some rust and thow that´s cool in some cases :wink: , mom wanted to preserve it as pristine as possible. So this is actually a "resto" proyect more than a build, but with some creative liberties.

This is how the bike looked like some days ago:

Disassembled, had to remove some bings and dings from fenders, remodeled an old chain guard, modify the handles, and prime. (Little Bondo was involved too).

Here is my fancy, state of art, professional painting machine
Can´t complaint, people can´t believe I use this method when they see the result (my self included)

Rims were shot, all crome long gone and rust taking over, so all spokes changed, coaster break in, took the Stone´s advise and painted the rims black.

Pinstriped them golden

Then "British green" as we call it here was apply to rest of the bike

Grandpa took a picture of me in action, but all you can see in the shot is his finger :lol: ...
Parts painted and drying

Pinstriping

More pictures coming soon, stay tuned!! :D

Re: RatDecó

The air brush is insane, but effective. :oops:
I hope I can have time tomorrow for the first clear coat, been pinstriping some more. I´ll be posting better pics ASAP.

Beautiful old bike! Glad you're doing a restoration and not cutting a nice old bike like that up. I'm sure it'll look great when you're finished with it! :)

Thanks for the nice words Guys!!

Galtbacken: Coming from you I´m honored. This type of bike, here were I live are rare, so I like to keep them as period correct as I can. In this case I took some liberties but respecting the essence of it.

Bikeriderx: Don´t get to much scared, that´s a replica of a WWII Thompson I made to display with my WWII jeep. I also made a Browning 30.cal that spooks the living Pete out of people too. In fact I´m a pacifist who happens to love second world war jeeps and bikes. :shock:

Bighit: You´re right, brakes are gold, but in this case they were rotten, and they only work properly when the rims are perfectly chromed, that costs over fifty bucks per wheel over here, so thats why I decided to go down coaster break lane and giving the rims black paint, which, If I´m allowed to say, have stolen my heart away.

I´m planing on finishing the bike tomorrow, so stay tuned because more pics are coming soon!!!

Coolness galore 8) was there any brand on the bike ? Serialnumber ? It looks like an old Dutch bike...might have found its way to your continent after WWII, you never know :wink: search for "omafiets" (grannybike) on google, loads of pics like yours !

Coming from anyone, you still should feel honored! Seems to me you took the right kind of liberties with what you're doing to the bike! I've been asked recently to build a bike from a beautiful old ladiesbike, but it looked perfect as it was so I could only bring myself to say to the owner to give it a good cleaning and some new grease.
Been looking some more at what you've done so far and those gold pinstripes are right on! Looks good with the black on the wheels and also green and gold is a beautiful combo.
Really like it when people don't let themselves be limited by what equipment they've got, but use what they have that will do the job. That "insecticida" spray pump is a great example of that! :D
Keep it up!

Thanks for the nice comments, and for the inspiration I get from you Guys every day!!! It really means a lot to me. :D

Ace: I´ll look into that number, I know it ends with 53. Great tip on the omafiets :wink:
Galtbacken: You´re right necessity is the mother of invention :idea: until I get a compressor the insecticida spray will have to do the job. :wink:

Weather helped me a lot this past two days, so I finally got the job done.
A couple of things I love from this bike, first, the reflector holder made from a juice bottle cap and the brake lever that now activates the ring. Oh, and the removable basket, made from old news papers :D

Photos!!

2972736510101087470DCMAhT_fs.jpg

Thanks Guys!!

Been thinking about re-doing the skirt guard cause I´ve been looking to buy a new one but they´re not available in here, so I need pics and some advice on how to do it, the back fender already has the holes for it, so that part will make it easier.

The most important part of this hole build is that Mom loved the result, that big smile when she rode the bike for the first time is priceless.

Next assignment: to make the head light operable; then the next build!! 8)

Thanks!!!.

Unchained: Someone told me It was a Raleigh, the headbadge was lost before I was born and there aren´t any marks.

MonStar: Thanks, I´ll head right now to the garage and try to make the light to work :wink:

Ace: I´ll get the serial number.

are the rod brakes going back on? if you got good round rims you'll probably find them more reliable and effective in the long run. more comments too!

Nop, new coaster break is doing the job just fine, rod brakes need perfect round and chromed rims to work properly, besides I live practically in the south Atlantic Ocean and rust would eat them in three months. I know this for a fact :cry:

Been doing some work on the headlight, need a new battery and if all goes well, by this time tomorrow we´ll have new led brightness inside that old beautiful lamp. :wink:

Cheers and many thanx for the interest shown!!

See a few posts about this possibly being a Raleigh. Is the jury still out on that? I only ask because as far as I can tell my buddy has the same frame sitting in his backyard right now. I dug it out of a scrap pile a while back as a possible restore for my wife. The one we found has a CCM head badge. Maybe Raleigh and CCM had similar frames, don't know. I really love the way this bike turned out. Gives me lots of inspiration to go pick up the wife's and put some time it. When I first saw the frame I figured a big ol' basket would look good on it. Thanks for confirming.

Latest posts

Back